Views
Helpful
Replies

Intel wireless adapters issue with WLC

limtohsoon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Sir,

I have deployed a pair of WLC4404-100 in a Mobility Group. The WLCs' software version is 4.0.179.8. L3 LWAPP transport mode is configured. There are 50 Lightweight APs joined to the primary controller, in an office building.

Each floor has a minimum of 3 APs. 802.11a radio is disabled on all APs. Channel and power assignment are controlled by the WLC.

All clients associate to a WLAN/SSID with WPA2 encryption and PEAP authentication with a backend Microsoft AD. Wireless clients are a mixture of Intel adapter models on Dell notebooks. The following two adapters always experience frequent disconnections:

(1) Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG

Driver version : 10.5.1.69

Driver date : 27/09/2006

(2) Intel(R) PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3A Mini PCI Adapter

Driver version : 1.2.4.41

Driver date : 7/13/2006

However, the following adapter has never experienced any disconnection:

(1) Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG

Driver version : 9.0.0.61

Driver date : 10/21/2004

Do you know if this issue is related to WLC or client-specific? Please advise a solution.

Thank you.

B.Rgds,

Lim TS

6 Replies 6

owensm
Level 1
Level 1

About several months agos I went through the same problem, until i switched to Funk odyssey client. That's if you want to refrain from troubleshooting client issues. Both the intel 2915 and 3945 are problematic especially in a highly dense environment. Just look on some of the historic postings within this forum for the intel client and you will see a host of problems with the IntelProset.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply.

I forgot to inform that the Intel clients are currently connected using WZC (Windows Zero Configuration).

How does using Funk Odyssey clients help since the software will also use the same Intel chipset drivers, as what the WZC uses?

Please provide some insight.

Thank you.

B.Rgds,

Lim TS

You can search old posts in wireless forum that it was a hot topic to discuss about the Intel NIC to work w/ Aironet.

Hope this helps.

Could you give me the Odyssey Configuration Manual for EAP-PEAP? I am struggling with disconnect with RSA-ACS-Intel using Odyssey for two months.

I would like to refer to your site configuration.

Take two upgrades and try it in the morning. The Intel 2200/2915/3945 PROSet driver/client package is now 11.1.1.11

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspxstrTypes=all&ProductID=2259&OSFullName=Windows*+XP+Professional〈=eng&strOSs=44&submit=Go%21

We've been through the exact same problems you are having. There are multiple settings that helped to alleviate most of our disconnects. You should definately upgrade to the latest Intel drivers as each version has helped with the disconnect problem. I also recommend upgrading to 4.1.171.0. One of the other changes we made was to disable CCKM on the WLAN and on the client. This one setting helped to eliminate 90% of our disconnect problems.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card