cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Interfaces on WLC 4402

typhunexpress
Level 1
Level 1

When I try and configure more than one dynamic interface I lose the ability to use the GUI. I can continue to use the console port and finnish the configs of the interfaces and WLANS and they work fine as clients can use them but the GUI is down. Trying to access the GUI with HTTPS. Any ideas why this would happen?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Make sure that you are trying to connect to the management interface. Also, make sure that you do not have overlapping IP sceams. If you have a subnet on the wired side, don't have the same subnet on the WiFi side, clients won't communicate properly, the controller doesn't like having clients on the wired and WiFi together, read as possible security breach if they are.

Don't try to connect to the Service Port from wired or WiFi, this port is only for out of band management. TAC does not support managing the controller from the service port. Also want to make sure that your Service Port is not in the same supernet as your AP Manger/Mangement interface(s). This can cause problems with routing. I generally recommend that the service port be set to 8.8.8.8, you can connect locally, xover cable, to this in the event that you cannont get to it via the network and mangement interface.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

stevanp
Level 1
Level 1

A couple of questions come to mind. What version of code do you have? At what point do you lose connectivity to the GUI after a dynamic interface is configured?

I have run into issues where I lose connectivity to a lot of devices once I enable an ACL on any interface. I have not been able to "hunt" down any info on their ACL conventions.

Ver 3.2.78. As soon as I apply the interface through the GUI and then try to access any other function. If I delete the newly created interface through a console session the GUI comes right back. I dont have any ACL setup that i know of.

I just found that I can access the Service port through a wired connection but not over the wifi connection. As soon as I point my browser to the management interface, I am able to connect, but I cannot hit it over a wired connection.

I don't know if that applied, but that is what I found out through trial and error.

Worse comes to worse, I would just put a sniffer on the SPAN port to which you are trying to connect and see what is happening.

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Make sure that you are trying to connect to the management interface. Also, make sure that you do not have overlapping IP sceams. If you have a subnet on the wired side, don't have the same subnet on the WiFi side, clients won't communicate properly, the controller doesn't like having clients on the wired and WiFi together, read as possible security breach if they are.

Don't try to connect to the Service Port from wired or WiFi, this port is only for out of band management. TAC does not support managing the controller from the service port. Also want to make sure that your Service Port is not in the same supernet as your AP Manger/Mangement interface(s). This can cause problems with routing. I generally recommend that the service port be set to 8.8.8.8, you can connect locally, xover cable, to this in the event that you cannont get to it via the network and mangement interface.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

I hate to advise otherwise, but you can connect to the service port over TCP from a LAN. The only time that you cannot connect is over a Wifi connection...fyi.

you seemed to have nailed it with the conflict of vlans containing both wired and WIFI clients. As soon as I set up a seperate interface and configured it for a vlan without wired clients the GUI via the mangement interface continues to be accessable. I did several like that and no issues. To check I went and tried to create an interface again with wired clients and right away was froze up on GUI. Thanks for the help!!

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I had the same issue when I would create a dynamic interface with a different subnet mask than what I had created for the management and ap-manager interface. Management was /24 and the internal wireless subnet was /20. Once I changed the /20 to a /24, I was able to GUI back to the WLC and the users still had connectivity.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card