cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Intermittent association with Parent AP

a.kiprawih
Level 7
Level 7

I have 3 repeaters connected to 1 AP ( as root). All unit are using same SSID, different radio channels. Other settings are default.

However, all repeaters are intermittently associated & disassociated with the parent AP, at least every 2 minute. What could be the problem?

Thanks.

Amrih

10 Replies 10

d.nogueira
Level 1
Level 1

Try configuring static association routes. That is telling each repeater to which AP it should connect. Then only if this AP is lost will it try to connect to another.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Unfortunately, I did used that method - associate the Repeater with the only Root (Parent) AP, using MAC Address, but still, the radio connectivity intermittently connected/disconnected (Reassociated/Authenticated). Initially, I did not specify any MAC Address, knowing that there is only 1 Root (Parent) AP around.

FYI, currently I've removed the Root MAC Address from all Repeaters.

Any other idea?

Try using the carrier test and see if the channel you are using is free if not configure a free channel on the root AP, the repeaters will adjust to this channel by themselfs.

On your type of topology all AP's must use the same channel.

Are all the repeaters supposed to associate directly to the root AP or are some supposed to go through an intermediate repeater? If so you must configure the MAC of that intermediate repeater and not the MAC of the root AP.

As for now, all Repeaters are set to use follow the same channel as Root AP.

The connection is very straight forward, all 3 Repeaters are set to associate directly to the Root AP (only 1 Root AP in place), without any intermediate Repeater.

For the radio channel, I will run the carrier test for verification.

Thank you.

Then you must specify on each repeater that it must associate directly to the root AP. If you don't this if for some reason a repeater loses it's association it will log on to the first repeater it finds and will stay associated to this repeater until for some reason it loses this association. If you configure the route to the root AP it will always be looking for that AP and will only stop when it has found it. You should not let repeaters decide by themselves what route to take, I have seen wierd things happen when I let this happen.

In summary, I've tried the following methods, and yet, still getting the same symptom:

1. Allow Repeaters to automatically associate (no MAC Address) to the Parent

AP (specify no MAC Address)

Symptom: associated/disassociated every 2 minutes.

2. Force all Repeaters to associate to the only Parent AP, based on MAC

Address.

Symptom: associated/disassociated approx. every 5 minutes.

Thanks.

Are all the repeaters located within the root AP's radio cell? If not configure the AP' for range intead of throughput just for testing ( this will affect the available bandwidth but enlarge the cells ) and see what the result is.

It's hard to troubleshoot from a distance but based on what you say you could be experiencing interference or there is a bug in the AP's software, try another version. Anyway as you see creating static association routes does provide more stability.

jarchibald
Level 1
Level 1

Between the LLC sublayer and the MAC, five distribution services make the discisions as th where the 802.11 data frames should be sent. These distribution services make the roaming handoffs when the wireless device is in motion. The five services are Association, Re-association, Disasscociation, intergration and distributioin.

As a wireless station leaves AP 1's coverage area, the following steps take place:

1. Station beacon signals indicate a weakening of the signal to AP 1. A search takes place for a new AP on the same or different channels . AP 2 is found

2. A re-association request is sent to AP 2 from station. AP 2 accepts request.

3. AP 2 sends MAC layer information ( Client synch, traffic indicators,etc) for station to AP 1 over wired network.

4. Disassociation and de-authentication acknownledgement is sent to AP 2 from AP 1

Wireless devices use the association service as soon as it connects to an AP. This service establishes a logical connection between the devices.

The Disassociation service is used to tear down the association between the AP and the wireless device. This could be because the device is roaming out of the AP's area, the SP ishutting down, or any one of a number of other reasons.

Hope this helps

Some useful info:

1. Distance between Repeaters and Parent AP < 100m. Few layers of concrete walls. Signal strength & quality:: good - fair - poor (fluctuate).

2. Association/Reassociation happened only between Parent AP and Repeaters. No attempt to associate among Repeaters (fr. log file).

3. Few satelitte tv dish/antenna installed within the 100m wireless coverage. Any impact - frequency?

Possibilities:

1. Radio signal interference

2. Firmware (?)

Thank you for the feedback.

1. Distance between Repeaters and Parent AP < 100m. Few layers of concrete walls. Signal strength & quality:: good - fair - poor (fluctuate).

(As for distances, LAN distances specifications have been cast in stone. Guarantedd. Something the LAN design expert could count on. But with a

Wireless LAN a new preamble to distance specs has come about "UP TO" In an office with cubicles, you may achieve up to 500 feet. In the same

office with walls and office doors, you may achieve up to 300 feet. And outdoors up to a 1000 Feet. So a good site survey is always

required.) I would reduce you Wireless Cell and add additional AP's

2. Association/Reassociation happened only between Parent AP and Repeaters. No attempt to associate among Repeaters (fr. log file).

3. Few satelitte tv dish/antenna installed within the 100m wireless coverage. Any impact - frequency?

(Satelitte and Dish operate in the 5GHz low band range. Interference Considerations: Separate the antennas by at least 20 feet,

Maintain a distance of at least 20 feet between AP's and Microwave ovens. Radio Hazards Firewalls(2,4,8-hour), stairwells, elevators

Bookcases, filing cabinets, Lead glass, chicken wire mesh, concrete, RF-shielded rooms, microwave ovens, 2.4GHz phones.)

Possibilities:

1. Radio signal interference

2. Firmware (?) http://www.cisco.com/public/sw-center/sw-wireless.shtml

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card