cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Interpeting the Carrier Test Noise Value

dladen
Level 1
Level 1

I am having problems with maintaining connectivity between two bridges. They are set up to use MIC, TPIK, Leap. I have been trying to troubleshoot it and have not found any document that states how to interpet the noise value from the carrier test.

I am getting values of -90dBm. Is this good, bad, or ugly?

Thanks,

Dan Laden

2 Replies 2

murabi
Level 4
Level 4

ACU's site survey tool can assist you in conducting a site survey. The tool operates at the RF level and is used to determine the best placement and coverage (overlap) for your network's infrastructure devices. During a site survey, the current status of the network is read from the client adapter and displayed four times per second so you can accurately gauge network performance. The feedback that you receive can help you to eliminate areas of low RF signal levels that can result in a loss of connection between the client adapter and its associated access point .

You can go through the following document to interpret the noise levels and the signal strength:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4555/products_installation_and_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008007f846.html

amatveev
Level 1
Level 1

On carrier test the easier way to understatnd it is look at the left

graph with percent value, digits on the bottom represent the frequency for exapmle 12 represents 2412 and 17 represents 2417 and so on down to 2467. Percentage shown is the noisiest channel, anything under 20% is good.

Try to select the channel that has lowest amount of stars on it at all times and

then select that channel ander AP radio hardwere, for example if it is 67 you would be selecting channel 11.

The graph on the right involeves more complex calculations and usually not necessary to go in to.

I hope this helps

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card