Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Interpreting the Carrier test on a 350 Bridge

What are acceptable values for the "Carrier Busy" and "Noise Value" when performing the carrier test on a 350 bridge?

For Carrier Busy, I'm getting 10% max across all channels

For Noise Value, I'm getting -83dBm max across all channels

• Other Wireless - Mobility Subjects
4 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Interpreting the Carrier test on a 350 Bridge

The carrier test measures the amount of radio activity on each frequency available to the bridge. Use the carrier test to determine the best frequency for the bridge to use. You need to use the lowest busy and lowest noisy channel..So pick one like that.

When you conduct a carrier test, make sure all wireless networking devices within range of the bridge are operating to make the test results reflect a realistic radio environment.

Does -83dbm mean that the air is clear or dirty. Is there a breakdown of poor | fair | good | excellent as with the pc card site survey tool. What would be a poor dbm number? fair? good? excellent?

Dan

If you see noise that high and busy carriers across all channels, you have a difficult environment. -83 means that without external antennas, you have little hope of getting clients to connect reliably (A noiseless environment would be -100dBm, the 17dB difference is logarythmic - 500% more noise than -83).

Your useable signal will be total signal minus noise, so armed with that you can figure your required antenna gain to reach a stated distance.

Matthew Wheeler

Chief Wireless Architect

Blue Modal, Inc.

http://www.bluemodal.com

Anonymous
N/A

I have the same question, I installed a pair of 350 bridges, and the distance of 13 km between ech other, and I don´t know what is the right (dbm) in the antenna alignment test, for that king of link.(Data rates are 11Mbps,5.5,2, and 1)

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.