cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS AP migration issues

dconia
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,I have to migrate 44 IOS AP configured with static IP address. Current customer AP network is 10.10.3.0/24 for 43 devices and 10.10.4.0/24 for 1 AP device. Customer now doesn't have ,unfortunatly, a dedicated mgmt network and they don't want to create a new one so they want to install 2 WLC in the same main network (10.10.3.0) and maintain AP static IP address.

I have some doubts:

1 - in which way do I have to install WLC ? LWAPP layer2 o layer3 ?

2 - I've seen in migration LWAP upgrade tool instructions that is possible to maintain on the AP the old IP address , so to the first join is enough to configure in customer DNS the default contrller name ?

3- considering that customer don't have

mgmt netwok is any way suggested to use service port (ip address of this connection will be the same of the main port....I think could be useful only for redundant path to reach the controlled

4- I suppose the the switch port connected to WLC controller must configured trunk with the 2 AP network subnet allowed only (10.10.3.0 and 10.10.4.0)...correct ?

thank a lot for your help

regards

--- Domenico

1 Reply 1

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I will give this a shot...

1 - in which way do I have to install WLC ? LWAPP layer2 o layer3 ?

Layer3

2 - I've seen in migration LWAP upgrade tool instructions that is possible to maintain on the AP the old IP address , so to the first join is enough to configure in customer DNS the default contrller name ?

Yes, but trim down the config as much as possible. There are memory issues that can cause the conversion to fail and give you more headaches. What we have done is setup a small dhcp scope on the switch or use mac reservations and erase the config of the ap and reload the ap. The ap will come up with the reserved ip address or an ip from the dhcp on the switch. Then do the conversion..... safer this way.

3- considering that customer don't have

mgmt netwok is any way suggested to use service port (ip address of this connection will be the same of the main port....I think could be useful only for redundant path to reach the controlled

Service port should not be routed! If you can't get to the management, then you have more problems and will have to console to the wlc anyways.

4- I suppose the the switch port connected to WLC controller must configured trunk with the 2 AP network subnet allowed only (10.10.3.0 and 10.10.4.0)...correct ?

The switch port will have to be a dot1q trunk to allow the vlan the management and ap manager is on and also the vlans that wireless users will be placed on.

To make this a good install, you have to convince your client that a vlan needs to be created for the management and ap manager, along with the wireless users. It is not best practice to have any dynamic interfaces on the same subnet as wired users as there have been issues. To be honest, it doesn't take much to create vlans and a layer 3 interface. Do it right or else you will end up scratching your head and TAC telling you what is done is not supported...

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card