Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.
For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.
Does anyone know how to recover the username/password whilst keeping the existing config and not defaulting the AP.
According to this link it isn't possible:
It makes sense as AP's don't support the "config-register" command, which is the usual (router) method of password recovery.
That's what I thought but I was hoping that someone might have known a non-documented way.
The AP has a Cat 2900 style bootloader, not a
router style rommon. So you don't get
config-register; however you do have similar
functionality. See http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat2970/12218se/2970cr/bootldr.htm
for (fairly close) documentation.
To do password recovery on an IOS AP, without
losing your config, do something like this:
1. Connect to the console
2. Power cycle the AP (or otherwise induce it to reload)
3. Hit on the console real fast, a couple of times
4. Get to the bootloader ("ap:") prompt
5. Now rename the config.txt file to something else (ap: rename flash:config.txt flash:config.foo)
6. Now continue booting
7. The old config will be in flash:config.txt
Should work, although it may not, depending on the bootloader version.