cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP address "gone" from Cisco 350 access point?!?!

g6phf
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

This is not the first time this has happened, only this time the access point is

rather more awkward to physically get at! It is still running and working, however I have need to reconfigure it now. for some reason its IP address has

been lost, i.e. it is not responding to it anymore. I have tried the default IP, and

also done some pings of the entire subnet but still cannot find it.

It is hooked up to network with 3 other AP's, they all show each other in their

network list.

Any help would be most welcome.

Thanks

Mike

11 Replies 11

kagodfrey
Level 3
Level 3

Have you tried using the IPSU utility to discover the IP address? You should be able to get it's MAC address from the AP association table from one of your other APs.

Regards

Kev

Thanks for your reply. I thought the IPSU utility would only set the IP address

if it was already set to its default 10.0.0.1 ?

I've not tested this so I dont know, I do have its MAC address as you point out.

Thanks

Mike

Yes, you can use it to discover the IP address as well as change it, although the results can be erratic. I find it works best if you can directly patch to the AP with a crossover cable. Try with your laptop set on your LAN address first, if that doesn't work try a 10.0.0.0 /8 network address. Also, try power-cycling the AP whilst it is off the network to see if that will prompt it to return to its default address.

I don't know whether you are using DHCP or static IP addressing, but if you configure static IP you should set "configuration server protocol" to "none" or when the AP power cycles it will try and get an IP address via DHCP.

Another quick way of seeing if you can get the IP address assuming you are using a 350 series client adapter and have ACU 501 is to associate to the appropriate AP and it should tell you the IP address of the AP you are associated to along the bottom of the ACU window.

Hope that helps

Kev

Unfortunately I cannot physically get access to the location the AP's are in, well I can but its not easy.

One of the other AP's on the network still reports the "faulty" AP as having its

original IP address, however any attempt to ping it over wire or wireless does

not work.

I tried the IPSU program on a Win 2k server which is on the same network, I could connect in via terminal services and install/run the program.

I can get the IP of the 3 other AP's, however this one just times out and

returns an error message.

I'm kind of assuming it has got itself in to some state where it is working fine but has stopped responding via IP.

Are there any other methods of remotely resetting an AP 350 if you do not have IP access to it?

Thanks

Mike

sandeepjha
Level 1
Level 1

hey mike...

this is sandeep from india..

try to use the mac address of the AP . create static ARP entry

"arp -a "

but give it the ip address in the same subnet as your network.

NOW if this doesn't work then try to give static IP on logging AP(again in the same same sunet).... and disable the DHCP on AP....logout..

best of luck...

regards.... sandeep

Hi Sandeep, thanks for your reply.

I tried the static arp entry, it did not work.

Can you explain more about your second idea please?

thanks

Mike

Just out of interest, being as you don't have physical access to the AP, are you able to confirm whether the AP has still definately got a physical connection to the network?

Yes it sure has. I can associate to the AP and actually reach a PC which is on the wired side of the AP. It appears to be doing its bridging ok.

It also shows up in the 3 other Cisco 350's association table, it even displays

the IP address it should have, which sadly it does not appear to respond to.

thanks

Mike

:-(

It's not looking good... I'm afraid it looks like you might have to climb up into the ceiling and hit it with the factory-reset spanner

rsahney
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Mike ,

though i think resetting is the only way as of now , but could u please let us know what version of firmware u are working with on the AP at this point of time...

Pls. ensure to upgrade to the latest version since i has resolved many of such bugs.

Regards

Drat, looks like it will have to be this. It is on version 12.00T firmware.

The units are at the top of a tower which is not easily reachable, hence my

concerns to fix it remotely.

regards

Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card