Views
Helpful
Replies

iPad and iPhone issues with 1242AP

airlinkauto
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have a 1242 AP (b/g and a) installed at a customer site where they would like to use iPads and iPhones along with laptop PC's for wireless LAN and internet access. We've tried getting these devices to connect and are having problems.  Laptops using b/g radios are having no such issues.

I've read about the iPads having problems when trying to connect to APs that support mixed modes (b/g, n).  Does anyone have any experience with regard to solving this issue?  Should we turn off all the g radio settings in order to force the AP and iPad to connect using the b radio standard?  Also, since the iPad doc states that it has support for the "a" radio standard, could we solve the problem with regard to the iPads by turning on the 5 ghz "a" radio in the AP?  Right now it is off.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

2 Replies 2

kentislander
Level 1
Level 1

We have similar problem at University here.  Students and Staff are complaining that their MAC device are disconnecting especially iPad, iPhone, and iMac notebook.   We are not sure if issues are with Cisco Wifi network (1130 series), or NAC (formerly CCA) or MAC issues.

I think it is something to do with sleep mode on MAC devices.  We did set up home router wifi and MAC devices stay connected even if it is in sleep mode.   But with Cisco WiFi, those devices get disconnected.

We are running NAC 4.7.3 and WLC on 7.0.98.0

I would love to get solutions to that for me and airlinkauto.

Thanks

Kayle Miller
Level 7
Level 7

My understanding is that when the Apple Devices like iPad, iTouch, iPhone go into sleep mode they actually shutdown the WiFi radio interface which causes the device to obviously disconnect from the wireless and then the user idle timeout on the controller kicks the user off the network. Then when the device comes out of sleep it has to re-enable the radios, then search for networks, then reconnect, and then go thru the authentication process and some time it fails or can get blocked as a result of too many reauthentications.  So I generally turn off the exclude client option to minimize the occurance of this.  This maynot be the case but it's what i have experienced with them.

Hope this help... Please rate useful posts.

Thanks,

Kayle

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card