cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

iPads/iPhone and Open Wifi Issue

Shawn Shoemaker
Level 1
Level 1

Running Cisco wireless at a larger university and We're running into issues with ipads and iphones on our network.  We run an Open guest network.  No encryption.  But are having difficulty getting ipads and iphones, of variying models, getting connected reliably.   We get "error joining network" messages, but only for the Open networks.  Also, it seems Random.  3 out of 4 times it fails and then it will connect a few times and then fail again.  It makes no sense whatsoever.

Here is out network setup:

Wireless network enryption:  None (Open)

WLC is a 5508 Running version 7.0.222.0

We also have 2-4400 models running 7.0.222.0

APs are 1131's (ABG) and 1142's (AGN)

We have run several tests to confirm that this seems isolated to our Cisco envirnoment and only Open networks.  We have another vendors products on site (That we've been slowly replacing with Cisco) and have the same network configured there and are not having these issues.  We have also tried putting a WPA2-PSK password on the network for testing purposes, and that elminates the issues, however, we need this network to be Open due to requirements on our end.

We've tested everything from iPad 1's up to iPad 3's all running the latest iOS 5.1.1 as well as iPhone4 and iPhone4S version running 5.1.1.  All seem to have the issue. 

I'm running out of ideas for testing and troubleshooting this issue.  Any help or direction would be greatly apprecated.

Thank You.

23 Replies 23

I will try it in a few but it's suppose to prevent the iDevice from opening up the portal page.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Well when you enable it

config network web-auth captive-bypass enable

Prevents my iPhone and iPad from opening up to the webauth page. I manually had to open up Safari to get the webauth page.

-Scott

Just an update, It looks like enabling Fast SSID switching has fixed this issue for us.  Thank you all for your assitance with this.  I look forward to being able to upgrade to 7.2 to take advantage of those new features... hopefully we can get rid of that equipment. 

That's good news... Now you can relax because the users are happy:)

-Scott

AWESOME POST!!!! Made my day a lot easier!! Thanks

I look forward to being able to upgrade to 7.2 to take advantage of those new features..

Go to the latest 7.4.X instead.   Make sure you also upgrade to FUS version 1.9.0.

I have been upgrading to 7.4 MR2 and FUS 1.7.0. What does FUS 1.9.0 provide or resolve?

It is a recommended upgrade from Cisco as it does change the boot.  The release notes should have more info.

Thanks,

Scott

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

-Scott

Forgot the link:)

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/fus_rn_OL-31390-01.html

Thanks,

Scott

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: