cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is AP-3602 a 3:4:3 or a 4:4:3 ?

maross
Level 1
Level 1

If the nomenclature is x:y:z, where x = transmitters, y = receivers, and z = spatial streams, and the 1262 is 2:3:2 (two TX, three RX, 2 streams), then what is a 3602 ?

I've seen both 4:4:3 and 3:4:3.  Are there three or 4 transmitters ?  I get there are four receivers.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

4 transmitters allows you to beamform to 802.11n devices. You can't beamform to 802.11n devices with 2 transmitters. The more transmitters and receivers you have the better perceived signal you can acheive on each end when you combine the RF data streams.

This is a good article that goes over in detail the benefits of the multiple transmitters/receivers and spatial streams:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5678/ps10092/white_paper_c11-516389.html

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

blakekrone
Level 4
Level 4

There are 4 transmitters and 4 receivers with 3 spatial streams.

I interviewd Neil Diener and Walt Shaw on my podcast talking about these features:

http://nostringsattachedshow.com/2012/02/01/e04-cisco-3600-ap-launch/

OK - so what does the 4th transmitter do. If you have three spatial streams, then the 4th transmitter can't augment any one stream because that would cause an imbalance.

I can see where the 4th transmitter might be used for legacy beamforming, but what do you do with four that you can't already do very well with three ?

I would understand #4 being used to help differentiate the other three - similar to how the 1262 used the #3.

Confused - I am.

4 transmitters allows you to beamform to 802.11n devices. You can't beamform to 802.11n devices with 2 transmitters. The more transmitters and receivers you have the better perceived signal you can acheive on each end when you combine the RF data streams.

This is a good article that goes over in detail the benefits of the multiple transmitters/receivers and spatial streams:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5678/ps10092/white_paper_c11-516389.html

Does that then mean that when beamforming to an 802.11n client, there will be two streams, beamformed, thus 4 transmitters, but you won't be able to beamform 3 streams ?

That at least would make sense to me.

No, the beam forming will use all four transmitters to send the data so that the client receives it in the best possible way.

Fred had a really great slide that illustrated this.  Hopefully they get it posted on the partner community.

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card