cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is Cat5 (or Cat6) cable length doubled when using a power injector ?

andreperron
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

Let's say I have a 100m cable running from a standard switch to a power injector (namely AIR-PWRINJ4).  Do I have another 100m from the injector to the access point ?

Thanks in advanced.

Andre

6 Replies 6

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, you still have the 100M limitation.

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Hello Steve,

Thanks for that fast response !

So you mean I am limited to 100m between the switch and the access point, no matter where in the chain is the injector ?  So if I place the injector right in the middle of the cable run, I will have 50m on each side and no more ?...

So the only way would be to use a PoE switch instead of the injector, right ?

Regards,

Andre

or a hub.  if you put any switch/hub at 100M, you would then have another 100M from that point.

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

andreperron
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Steve, great help !

Andre

Sorry to intrude, but just wanted to offer...  Regardless of whether or not you use a power injector, the Ethernet standard limits the distance of a single Ethernet run to 100m.  It's either an issue of signal loss, dispersion, bit timing, or a combination of all.

While having a switch would grant you another span, your injector would still be limited to the last span's 100m because the power will not flow through the switch (adding the switch won't give you 200m for your PoE).

Hope I didn't confuse the issue. -Ed

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just how long do you want?

If it goes beyond 100 metres the force the interface down to 10 Mbps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: