Views
Helpful
Replies

Is it possible to combine two WGB?

Stefan Tiefel
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

does someone know if it is possible two combine two wgb for the same client-network?

Invented example:

There is a train with a trainwide switched Network and I want to connect this train to a cisco controller-based wlan. Because of the big lenght of the train I want to use one WGB on the one end of the train and another WGB on the other end.

Is this possible or do I need another concept with routing or something else?

Thanks for your help!

Kind regards

Stefan

7 Replies 7

Eduard Polyakov
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Stefan,

Are you talking about two isolated networks within the train, just using the same IP subnet? Or one network with two wireless uplinks? In the last case, in my opinion, only one uplink can be active, and the second uplink will be blocked by Spanning Tree (assuming it's enabled). Routed links needed for both to be active.

Regards,

Eduard

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

A WGB take wired clients and gives them connection via wireless through the WBG. The WBG acts as a "client". So if you had aps in our around the train the WGB's would connect to the Aps just like a regular wifi client. In your case you would have 2 WGB (wifi clients) servicing wired clients behind them ..

Make sense?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Hi,

thanks for your replys.

I am talking about ONE switched Network with two WGB on each end.

So, Eduard, you think one WGB will be blocked out of the network automaticly by Spanning Tree is this right? And if only one WGB has a connection this one will be not blocked?

George:

Yes it make sense, but does this work also if the "wire clients behind them" are the same.

To make the example a little bit easier:

There is only one wired Client in the Train. This Client is connected to a switch. And the two WGB are also connected to the same switch.

wired client

I   

I

I

WGB---------switch--------WGB

And both WGB should connect to the same landside APs.

Thanks for your help.

That is my understanding, at least how Cisco bridges should behave. Assuming STP is enabled on all interfaces. I'd like to hear from Cisco guys though

So, Eduard, you think one WGB will be blocked out of the network automaticly by Spanning Tree is this right? And if only one WGB has a connection this one will be not blocked?

Thats a great question. Ive never did that before

Do you have a means of testing it ? If not, I may be able to this weekend.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Hi,

today i was on holiday. I will test it on Monday but I am not so familiar with the configuration of the WGBs so it will take some time. But I m from Germany so I am a few hours bevor you :-)

I think I will test it with some 3502 on the "landside" and two 1242.

If you test it on the weekend I would thank you very much and we can exchange our experience on monday or thuesday.

Kind regards.

Stefan Tiefel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

excuse me for my late answer.

I've tested the scenario in my lab. I can't get it working well. I've configured two 1231 as wgb with the radio interface and the fa0 briged and I connected the two fa0 over a switch. But the wlc (from the "land-side" can't manage this and The client (even connected to the switch) lost the connection. I will test this one more time in the next year but I think even if there works spanningtree it is to slow for a fast moving subway.

Regards

Stefan

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card