cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is it Possible to enable or have more than one RAP in a Mesh Network?

richnam
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

My WLAN has a 4404 WCS and is running in mesh mode. The area of coverage is wide and i need to have extra RAPs in strategic locations to minimize the hop count of some outdoor APs. The extra RAPs are wired back to the switch via fibre. How can i enable more than one RAP in this case? Please help!!!

4 Replies 4

dancampb
Level 7
Level 7

Sure, you can have multiple RAPs. Just set the role of any AP that can hit the controller via the wire as a RAP. The MAPs will then use the best route to the controller. If you want to specify which MAPs go to a particular RAP just set different BGN's. Also I would suggest setting different channels for each RAP.

Thank you dancampb.

I have set the role of another AP to root. but however, i noticed all the other MAPs leave the previous RAP and associates only to the new one. How do i set different BGNs? what is a BGN? my WCS runs a mesh network but i don't see any bridging enabled. please i need your help.

dancampb
Level 7
Level 7

The BGN is the bridge group name. It basically sets up a workgroup of AP's.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/mesh/design/guide/MeshAP_52.html

Thank you dancampb.

I was able to set up a second RAP. However, that means if the RAP goes down, all the MAP connected to that BGN will be down. Is there a way i can make the group fallback to another group incase the groups RAP goes down?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: