Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Is there any issue to use 2.4 Ghz band where there are explosive materials?

A customer needs to communicate his users via wireless in a plant. In this plant there are processes where explosive materials are used. The noise level is very high and vibration of the buildings is constant because of the machines on production. The building material is concrete and steel, all machines are stainless material. Do I have any problem using 2.4 Ghz spread spectrum in this environment? What do I have to be careful about in these conditions?

• Other Wireless - Mobility Subjects
4 REPLIES

Re: Is there any issue to use 2.4 Ghz band where there are explo

The fundamental issue is the molecule sizes in the particular explosives in use and the wavelength being used. Water molecules are the right size to dissipate 12cm waves (2.4GHz divided by the speed of light). That's why you get rain fade.

Your customer should have lab facilities available to determine the stability of their material in varying conditions. The short answer is that if the explosive cannot be excited (heated enough to trigger a reaction) in a microwave oven, it is not reacting to 2.4GHz (same used in microwaves) wavelengths at all.

2.4GHz is in use now in petroleum production facilities, but that precident is not enough to go on. You may need to test 2.4GHz, then 5.2GHz, then 5.8GHz and even 900MHz to find a license-free frequency that is safe for the facility.

Your inquiry may warrant further discussion.

Matthew Wheeler

Blue Modal

+1-866-2-UNWIRE

Actually I am going to follow your advise about testing in a lab with 2.4 Ghz or maybe the personnel in charge of that department already have those tests. The materials are related to perfume substances. I will let you know results.

Thanks

I work at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station and just got finished deploying nineteen access points around a new launch facility. The process of securing engineering approval for deployment was extensive but the end results was good. In short, the actual explosive materials used are not affected by the 2.4Ghz signal but any electronic ignitors must be tested for signal influence.

Thanks for your message, I will let you know about my real site survey

Socorro Guerrero

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.