Views
Helpful
Replies

Is this a good point-to-point setup?

paul.olivier
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have been offered a point-to-point configuration to extend our 2602i Wifi network.

To replace an existing Psion Wifi connection (100 meters) consisting of 2 accespoints and 2 antenna's I'm offered the following:

2x air-cap3502p-e-k9

6x air-ant2410y-r

6x air-acc245la-r

Personally I think 6 antenna's is overkill

Can anyone confirm this is right, or can you advise me another configuration?

Thanks,

Paul

10 Replies 10

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You intend to deploy AIR-ACC245LA-R lightning arrestor????

Using three antennas is not an overkill.  Using an AIR-ANT2410Y-R Yagi to cover 100 meters is an overkill.

Wait a second ... You want to deploy these and use the 3502p?  Wow!  That's overkill!

I already thought so. Any suggestions which I can use with a 2504 controller?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Any suggestions which I can use with a 2504 controller?

Point-to-point bridge and you want to use a controller?  I don't see the logic unless you have MULTIPLE P2P connections.  But if it's only one site to another, it's a waste of good money.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Antennas:

The Yagi antenna is 10 dBi.  Too strong.  I'd settle for a pair of AIR-ANT2485P-R antennas.  Turn off diversity.

AP:

Use the 3502e instead.

George, Scott, Steve, etc.  Opinions?

Thanks, I cant find the 3502e on the Cisco site. I assume it also has several antenna connectors.
Can I just use one antenna?

3502E is listed in the main data sheet of the 3500.  Go here.

Yes, you can use only one antenna (for each side) as long as you disable "Diversity".  Another thing, if the sole pupose of this AP is just point-to-point wireless bridge using 2.4 Ghz only (and you are NOT planning to use the 5.0 Ghz), then you can purchase the 3501E.

But if you plan to re-use this AP somewhere else in the future, then purchasing dual-band APs is good.

One channel is good.
I want to mount the antenna on an existing pole.
Isn't it a better option to use 1 yagi per accesspoint?

Turning off diversity would impact higher MCS data rates if bridge associate 802.11n data rates. If throughput is a requirement better to leave diversity ON.

Rasika

No need for diversity because the OP wants to use only 2.4 Ghz.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you want a true P2P, then I would suggest you use the AIR-SAP3602E and either use the 2.4ghz with an outdoor high gain patch or use the 5ghz with an outdoor high gain patch. To line up 3 yagi antennas will be tricky, but can be done. Using a single antenna with 3 leads is the way to go.

AIR-ANT2460NP-R=
AIR-ANT5160NP-R=

You would also need LMR400 cable with the appropriate connectors to the antenna and to the lightning arresters. So just choose which band you want to use and get a single 3 lead patch antenna.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card