Views
Helpful
Replies

ISP looking at going wireless

j-reeves-gvc
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am working for a ISP who wish's to go wireless. I was looking at the ORiNOCO line of products from Verison(now owned by Agere). Has any one used this hardware or know of someone who has?

Im not very concerned with WEP as its easily cracked. I was told http://www.karlnet.com supply's some very usefull software for managing wireless networks(and security for them), Again, Anyone used this or know of people who have?

Im also looking around at Cisco's offering's. The WT-2700(the 2710 + 2750 systems) looks close to what i am looking for. This seams to be Cisco's only wireless offerings, Anyone know of some 802.11b offerings from them??

J Reeves

2 Replies 2

lisa.hall
Level 2
Level 2

James Strong
Level 1
Level 1

I have tested Aironet, OriNoco, and Symbol radios in my lab. The aironet has measurably better throughput than the others because it does it's encryption in formware rather than hardware. As far as WEP, if you're worried about WEP do some sort of 802.11X authentication such as LEAP.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card