Cisco Support Community
Community Member

Issues monitoring the 2602i Cisco AP with Zabbix.

My workplace just bought a lot of Cisco AP (2602i) and a WLC 2500 and I'm in deep trouble trying to monitor them with Zabbix, wich is the SW we use for our whole Network.

After a lot of time I got to monitor the CPU use (in %), traffic of each interface, the AP serial number and the AP software version.

I really need to monitor how many clients are connected (associated) to each radio and if the AP mode Flex Connect it is activated or not.

I would really appreciate some help with this, I'm out of ideas!

Thanks you soooo very much!

Some extra info regarding my APs:

AP6c41.6aa3.4b6e#show version 
Cisco IOS Software, C2600 Software (AP3G2-K9W8-M), Version 15.2(4)JB3, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Technical Support:
Copyright (c) 1986-2013 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Wed 18-Dec-13 22:30 by prod_rel_team

ROM: Bootstrap program is C2600 boot loader
BOOTLDR: C2600 Boot Loader (AP3G2-BOOT-M) LoaderVersion 12.4(25e)JA1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

AP6c41.6aa3.4b6e uptime is 1 week, 4 days, 3 hours, 16 minutes
System returned to ROM by power-on
System image file is "flash:/ap3g2-k9w8-mx.152-4.JB3/ap3g2-k9w8-xx.152-4.JB3"
Last reload reason: 

This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United
States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and
use. Delivery of Cisco cryptographic products does not imply
third-party authority to import, export, distribute or use encryption.
Importers, exporters, distributors and users are responsible for
compliance with U.S. and local country laws. By using this product you
agree to comply with applicable laws and regulations. If you are unable
to comply with U.S. and local laws, return this product immediately.
A summary of U.S. laws governing Cisco cryptographic products may be found at:

If you require further assistance please contact us by sending email to

cisco AIR-CAP2602I-A-K9 (PowerPC) processor (revision A0) with 204790K/57344K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID FTX1723J66B
PowerPC CPU at 800Mhz, revision number 0x2151
Last reset from power-on
LWAPP image version
1 Gigabit Ethernet interface
2 802.11 Radios

32K bytes of flash-simulated non-volatile configuration memory.
Base ethernet MAC Address: 6C:41:6A:A3:4B:6E
Part Number                          : 73-14588-02
PCA Assembly Number                  : 800-37899-01
PCA Revision Number                  : A0
PCB Serial Number                    : FOC17191EJT
Top Assembly Part Number             : 800-38356-01
Top Assembly Serial Number           : FTX1723J66B
Top Revision Number                  : A0
Product/Model Number                 : AIR-CAP2602I-A-K9   

Configuration register is 0xF

AP6c41.6aa3.4b6e# Connection to closed by remote host.
Connection to closed.

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Well if your trying to telnet

Well if your trying to telnet or ssh, you need to enable that on the CLI of the WLC:

config ap telnet enable all

config ap ssh enable all

config ap mgmtuser add username <username> password <password> secret <secret> all

*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Community Member

Hi!Thanks for your answer!

Thanks for your answer! But it is not I'm trying to telnet or ssh, I'm trying to monitor via OID how many clients are associated to my AP...

Community Member

not sure if still of concern

not sure if still of concern after a month. But maybe for somebody else looking:

I think you might be attacking the problem from the wrong end. All information you need, is controlled by the WLC. The AP´s are just (more or less..) dumb extensions for the WLC. You don´t need to access the ap´s for this information. The WLC already has it! 

Community Member

Hey!Thanks for your answer,

Thanks for your answer, but that wasn't the issue.

I'm monitoring my APs THROUGH the WLC, the thing is, I need de OIDs to do so.

Some I found using the OID navigator here --> but, not all of the OIDs are 'translated' there.

For example, the one regarding clients connected (which I found doing some tests long after I started this thread) it is not indexed there!

I'm don't want to use the monitor software Cisco sells because my network has a lot of AP flavours from different vendors and Zabbix can put them all together but I'm having a hard time with the Cisco APs.

Thanks anyway.

Community Member

Hi Yerlich18, Did you finally

Hi Yerlich18,

Did you finally manage to monitor the WLC with zabbix? if yes will be great if you share a little howto about it.

Community Member

Hey Saul,I didn't really

Hey Saul,

I didn't really solve my problem.

I managed to monitor some items (connected clients, rogue aps, eth rx total, eth tx total, last reboot reason, lwapp image version, lwapp os version, mac address eth, ap name, power status, ssh enable, shown in the attachment) but those are just regular items and, to be able to monitor them, after each OID I had to write the AP's mac address in decimal format  (which I did using Macro's to make it automatic, taking it from another OID). 

Now at this point I have two issues:

First - using this template, which I applied one per AP host referring to the WLC IP address, makes my Zabbix Queue and Zabbix busy unreachable poller processes go up to the sky, which is no good at all and that's why I'm still working on how to fix this (maybe changing the way I monitor de APs at all).

Second - I still couldn't monitor important stuff regarding reach radio (for example), since all my APs have two radios and I find it interesting to monitor which channel are they at. The issue with this is (after a little internet research) that Zabbix allows me to use a Discovery Rule with only one variable field, in this case, the AP's mac address. It wouldn't allow me to double the Discovery Rule.

Let me be more explicit regarding this second issue with an example. is the OID where I can find info regarding the radio channel. is my AP's mac

0 or 1 indicates which radio I'm talking about (also dynamic as you see).

So to get that info it would be something like (and its response): =  STRING: "This is a 802.11b/g interface, slot ID is 0" =  STRING: "This is a 802.11a interface, slot ID is 1"

So as you see, I have to variable fields, the AP's mac and the radio index (0 or 1).

I would really love to monitor it with the help of a discovery rule, a double one which doesn't exist.

Of course you can do it manually, for each of your AP's radios and for each of your APs but, in my network scenario, we have more than two or three APs so it makes this impossible and poorly efficient. 

I'm sorry for not having the answers and I really hope this helps you.

Community Member

Saul, If you just want to

If you just want to monitor the WLC using SNMP v3 I can tell you the config lines I used. This I managed to do but still, I don't have all the info I want since to find the right OID with the right info (which Cisco do not provide since they want you to buy they monitoring software) it is a real pain, but still, I manages to find and monitor an item or two.

Please let me know if you need help with this.

Community Member

Hi,Connect your internet

Connect your internet connection from ISP to server.

Connect all your APs with any Cisco Switch and then provide internet to users from that switch.

Community Member

This has nothing to do with

This has nothing to do with my question.

Community Member

I finally found the OIDs for

I finally found the OIDs for the number of clients!

Total number of clients: .

Number of users  per AP: .

Community Member

Hey! Thanks so much for you

Thanks so much for you information!

Sometime ago I found the OID for the associated clients myself and that is the one I'm using and it's none of your suggestions haha.

Maybe is just another way to monitor them.

The OID I'm using, which shows through the WLC (you have to set it to the WLC's IP) is:

CISCO-SMI::ciscoMgmt.513. but, right after the .72, you need to add the AP's MAC address in decimal numbers..

We found it testing with an AP and people connecting to it and comparing files...hard work but happy result.

Now I'm trying to monitor the WLC's ARP table cache since there is a bug and it doesn't free itself, the number just keeps growing until we have to reboot our WLC....maybe you know where I can find thar OID =)

Thanks a lot!

Community Member

I would recommend to Connect

I would recommend to Connect your internet connection from ISP to server.

After that you can Connect all your APs with any Cisco Switch and then provide internet to users from that switch. source: 

CreatePlease to create content