cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Issues with large guest wireless deployments & anchor controllers

tdennehy
Level 1
Level 1

With the explosion of BYODs on our guest networks, I am wondering what others are thinking in regards to future wireless guest solutions.  Having been plagued with too many users on the guest network and multiple issues with bugs in the webauth redirect, it has me thinking that the guest anchor solution may not be the right fit anymore.

Is there a recommended version of 7.0.x.x code that is free of webauth redirect bugs?  I recall seeing this bug back in the 4.x.x code and it still seems to be an issue.

Has anyone abandoned the idea and kept your anchors but moved(successfully) to a different kind of gateway?  Or have you abandoned the anchors completely and switched to another solution, possibly with local internet connections at each site?

Thanks in advance!

1 Reply 1

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That is a good question... the answer really depends on the customer.  In my installs, if guest traffic has to come back to HQ, needs to be filtered, etc, then you really don't have that much of an option.  I do have clients that will have h-reap ap's in their remote sites and we will place guest users on a seperate internet connection there.  I know there have been issues with the wlc having dhcp issues and the redirect, but I though I saw a post saying something was fixed in the 7.x.  Maybe one of the Cisco engineer here can answer that.  I still like the guest anchor wlc idea, just because of the simpicity of having the webauth bundle, certificate and lgoin in those wlc's only.  That is just my 2¢.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card