cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Issues with Roaming

d.muccillo
Level 1
Level 1

I have a laptop with Vista and a laptop with XP. It seems that my Vista laptop for some reason roams to a different AP on a different floor and then back. (the laptop is not moved--it is at one location).My laptop with XP seems to stay on the same AP in that same location. The XP laptop does not roam. Not clear on why this is roaming and if any settings can be tweaked. Please help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

It seems that there are 2 APs which have same range power and therefore clients is flapping between them. For a testing purpose, lower the power of 10th floor AP. It will resolve this issue.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

pnegi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

May I know how many APs are you using? Do you to which Ap it roamed to?

I have 4 aps per floor and 10 floors. AP1210. AP that I connect to is on the 9th floor and the AP I roam to is on the 10th floor. Again, I have 2 laptops side by side. The one running XP does not roam.

Hi,

It seems that there are 2 APs which have same range power and therefore clients is flapping between them. For a testing purpose, lower the power of 10th floor AP. It will resolve this issue.

thanks. i will try this.

Hi,

Thanks for your message. I will be eagerly waiting for your reply.

:-)

Or else you can try changing the channel numbers of the AP in 10 th floor and the 9th floor to be different.....

Example: AP in 8th floor - channel 1

AP in 9th floor - channel 6

AP in 10th floor - channel 10 and

AP in 11th floor - channel 1 again

And tune your laptop with vista to the concerned floor channel

See if this would help

Cheers

Dev

Hi,

I am agreed with Dev. Having different non overlapping channels can also help us to avoid this problem.

Are the client cards in both laptops the same?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card