cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Keeping Wireless Out

ncowger
Level 1
Level 1

I have a customer (Hotel) that has multiple conference rooms throught it's buildings. These conference rooms are around and below guest suites. They would like a good strong wireless signal inside each of the guest suites but would like to keep the wireless signal out of the conference rooms all toghether. THey want the guest suite wireless to be free and open (no authentication) but do not want the conference rooms to have any access to the wireless. THe rooms are physically ajacent. Any ideas short of telling them they are nuts?

3 Replies 3

Richard Atkin
Level 4
Level 4

I think the solution is called 'an Ethernet Cable' ;o)

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

They can line the conference rooms with stuff called "Mu Metal" (sounds like "myew metal").

It's not cheap, but it is a common shielding material.

For just screening WiFi stuff, you could use window screen or 1/4" hardware cloth ... but you have to ground it properly for it to work.

Aside from separate bands (guests = 802.11g, conference room = 802/11a) or hardwire, shielding is the only thing left. Maybe jammers in the rafters ....

Good Luck

Scott

that's kinda the options I thought. Thanks guys!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card