cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LAP and WGB Deployment

jfraasch
Level 3
Level 3

I have a WGB in a mobile unit that will connect to fixed LAP along a route.

I understand the LWAPP tunneling and the idea behind that.

The only thing I can wrap my head around is how the routing/switching works.  How does the WLC or WiSM (we have two 6500's with WiSM cards) actually keep track of where the WGB is along the route? Does it update a routing table? Is it directly connected?

Thanks. I am willing to read whatever there is on the topic but I haven't figured out this piece.

James

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In general the route to the WGB never changes in relatio to the core anyway.  It always will look like the WGB is behind the WLC to everything in the network.  Now, while the WGB roams from one AP to another, the WLC updates the MSCB entry for it, so it knows what AP to send traffic to.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In general the route to the WGB never changes in relatio to the core anyway.  It always will look like the WGB is behind the WLC to everything in the network.  Now, while the WGB roams from one AP to another, the WLC updates the MSCB entry for it, so it knows what AP to send traffic to.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Hi,

Please mark the Question as Answered if the provided information is correct and issue is fixed.

thanks,
Vinay

Thanks & Regards

Done a lot of practice with this now..  The LAP sends out a null packet after the WGB disconnects

so that the rest of the network doesn't see the WGB as being behind it anymore.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card