cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Large Subnet for single SSID

jonathanpe
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking for a design guide to help me split up a large subnet for a Cisco Wireless network.  We have a Campus with a centralised Wsim and a single SSID.  We are hoping to be able to keep the single SSID but split the subnet as it is now quite large and we would like to reduce the broadcast domain to a manageable size.  I have found a number which have different SSID but we would like to keep only 1 as it simplifies the user experience. 

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well one thing to look at is using interface groups. You can break up the large subnet and instead group them all together. This feature is available starting from v7.0 which your WiSM supports. Here is more info on interface groups.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10315/products_tech_note09186a0080b78900.shtml#topic1

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Adding to Scotts post.  If you are doing 802.1x you can use dynamic VLAN assignment to achieve the results as well.

AAA returns attributes 64/65/81 to the WLC, to change the VLAN the user gets put into.  You do still need to create the dynamic interfaces on the WLC.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Here is a config example of this interface group or "vlan select" feature.

http://mrncciew.com/2013/01/27/understanding-vlan-select-feature/

In our production network I am having 3x /21 subnets put into single interface group. This gives 6K capacity for the users on that single SSID.

HTH

Rasika

****Pls rate all useful responses ****

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card