cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Layer 2 & Layer 3 Controllers in Same Mobility Group

rzvbsq
Level 1
Level 1

I want to upgrade the existing Layer 2 contollers 4100 and AP 1200 (in the same subnet) to Layer 3 (controller is different subnet from AP). Due to migration in phases, I need to have mix Layer 2 and Layer 3 controllers in short period of time. Any issue if there is mixed Layer 2 and Layer 3 controller in the same mobility group. Additionally, any concern if user roaming between Layer 2 and Layer 3 controllers in the same mobility group? Thank you.

3 Replies 3

a-vazquez
Level 6
Level 6

It is not posible to convert layer 2 controllers to layer 3 mode. For this you need to buy new controllers that will operate in Layer 3 mode.

On the controller page, General, there is a option LWAPP Transparent Mode to select Layer2 or Layer 3 mode of the controller. Not sure why can't convert from L2 to L3.

Actually I had converted few L2 controllers to L3 in the same mobility group in lab. I concern if there is any problem if mix L2 and L3 controler in the same mobility group. Thanks.

No, I don't think you'll have any issues with such a mix.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: