cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LAyer 3 to Layer 3 LWAPP Transport mode

cplatt01
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone moved from layer 2 to Layer 3 transport mode?

I want to see if it is easy as changing the transport mode on the 4124 controller and assigning an IP address to the AP.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Pretty much it's that easy. You will also have a new interface on the controller after it reboots. The interface will be an AP-Manager. You need to assign this interface an address in the same subnet as the Management interface. After that, you will also need to either set an IP address on the AP's and specify the system name of the primary controller, or setup a DHCP scope for them, and specify the Option 43/60 so the AP can find the controller.

Here is the link to the Upgrade guide that references the option 43 information.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/wireless/ps430/prod_technical_reference09186a00804fc3dc.html#wp125304

Also, the document is a bit lacking, it does not tell you what the VCI strings should be for all of the AP's, so here they are.

Airespace/Cisco 1200/1000

Airespace.AP1200

Cisco 1200/1230

Cisco AP c1200

Cisco 1240

Cisco AP c1240

Cisco 1130

Cisco AP c1130

Let us know if you need any more assitance.

Here is another document, that is a little more tuned towards an IOS DHCP server, and it does have the VCI for all the AP's.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6548/products_installation_guide_chapter09186a00807158ec.html

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Pretty much it's that easy. You will also have a new interface on the controller after it reboots. The interface will be an AP-Manager. You need to assign this interface an address in the same subnet as the Management interface. After that, you will also need to either set an IP address on the AP's and specify the system name of the primary controller, or setup a DHCP scope for them, and specify the Option 43/60 so the AP can find the controller.

Here is the link to the Upgrade guide that references the option 43 information.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/wireless/ps430/prod_technical_reference09186a00804fc3dc.html#wp125304

Also, the document is a bit lacking, it does not tell you what the VCI strings should be for all of the AP's, so here they are.

Airespace/Cisco 1200/1000

Airespace.AP1200

Cisco 1200/1230

Cisco AP c1200

Cisco 1240

Cisco AP c1240

Cisco 1130

Cisco AP c1130

Let us know if you need any more assitance.

Here is another document, that is a little more tuned towards an IOS DHCP server, and it does have the VCI for all the AP's.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6548/products_installation_guide_chapter09186a00807158ec.html

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your help, that should do it. Is there any difference being that all my APs are already LWAPP. It just seems pretty strange that it is actually that easy to do, is check a box on the controller and add the option 43 to the scope.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

Yup, it's a drop down on the Controller page, a save and reboot.

HTH,
Steve

Made the conversion with no problem and all my existing APs came back online. However, when I added a new AP on a different subnet, it would not join the controller. I had option 43 set up and the DHCP vendor class set up (I have all airespace 1000 LWAPP) in the subnet different from that of the controller.

You need to make sure your DHCP option 43 information is received correctly at the AP. Maybe you need packet capture at the AP subnet to verify that. Also remember the DHCP option 43 field is the WLC management IP, not AP manager IP. I feel the DNS resolution method is easier than DHCP option 43. DNS resolution method is also included in the same link above.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card