Views
Helpful
Replies

LEAP AND VISTA

starfleet44
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

My college uses leap, and I can't seem to find any client that works with vista, any help?

Thanks,

Kevin Huff

29 Replies 29

dennis3484
Level 1
Level 1

This is kinda stupid: We have a university network with approx. 1000 users authenticating to the wireless network via PEAP but there's no client for Vista available. Most of them have Intel Notebooks and there software does not have this profil manager Windows XP got.

What can we do except waiting?

You mean LEAP?

Vista does support PEAP.

Yes, but only Microsoft's version.

Both M$ and Cisco worked on PEAP(v0). Cisco just took it a step further and developed PEAPv1 which has no native Windows support.

Either way, isn't PEAPv0 preferred over LEAP? One of our customers wants to migrate from LEAP to PEAPv0 because of its native Windows support.

tmiller888
Level 1
Level 1

Looks like we will have to wait longer. Cisco is doing a "Microsoft EAP Certification" process to get EAP-FAST working on Vista...

http://download.microsoft.com/download/d/0/8/d08df717-d752-4fa2-a77a-ab29f0b29266/NAC-NAP_Whitepaper.pdf

Are there any updates on this? Still looking for LEAP support in Vista.

Please help!, still no leap support for vista??? I work for a hospital. They WONT change from leap and there are hundreds of us who have migrated to vista but are stuck with no wireless access. I guess we either have to downgrade to xp or wait until another company like meetinghouse develops the software.

Why would any vendor develop a LEAP client for Vista? Refresh my memory.

My school finnally switched over to peap. Thank god.

What are you using to authenticate your users? ACS?

Has anyone tried M$ IAS? Would you use IAS in your next implementation?

PEAP on Vista works with our LEAP configured WAPs. We are using ACS for authentication against our Windows domain - MS-CHAP.

What you say doesn't make any sense to me.

If you are using PEAP-MSCHAPv2 then, by definition, you are not using LEAP. There is no support for MSCHAPv2 over LEAP.

What does LEAP configured WAPs mean? Are you saying that you have an SSID configured for LEAP on an access point? There is no EAP type specific information on the AP or WLC, the EAP type is between the client and the RADIUS server. The AP or WLC simply passes the EAP messages directly between the wireless client and the RADIUS server and visa versa.

For example, you won't find the word LEAP anywhere on a configuration web page for an autonomous IOS AP or the centralized wireless controller other than for the local RADIUS server.

You know, you are right. The word LEAP is not anywhere in an autonomous IOS AP. We use LEAP authentication between our clients and an ACS server. I was just pointing out the fact that PEAP-MSCHAP works with our current SSID configuration used by our LEAP clients.

So although it doesn't make sense to you, it does work.

Thanks for the clarification. It is true that *IF* the RADIUS server is configured to allow multiple 'inner' EAP types simultaneously (LEAP, PEAP, EAP-MD5, EAP-TLS, etc) then this will work. The wireless controller or autonomous AP is configured just for 'outer' EAP, regardless of 'inner' EAP type.

This may change so your mileage may vary. Note that several available RADIUS servers (freeRADIUS, idEngines, Funk/Juniper) can allow specific 'inner' EAP types per authenticator, unlike ACS which is a global setting.

chris-marshall
Level 1
Level 1

For those watching this thread, I thought I'd post that Intel appears to have updated their drivers to support Cisco authentication mechanisms like EAP-FAST and LEAP in Vista. Version 11.5.0.32 of the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Network Connection Software for Windows Vista now includes this support, as well as all the other CCXv4 perks (though now I want CCXv5 from Intel... the grass is always greener, I guess).

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card