Views
Helpful
Replies

LEAP over WAN

skkwok
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

I would like to find out how can I reduce the time take for the LEAP client to look for the Domain Controller over WAN? Is there something we need to configure on the AP or on the router?

I am using a leased line from my remote site to my central site. The users are not logon to the network (stand-alone) but they have a domain user account. I have tried adding the "lmhosts" file & included "ip helper" on my Cisco router.

Agape,

Kwok

5 Replies 5

derwin
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Kwok,

Have you seen this white paper it should have all of your answers

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/products_white_paper09186a00800a9e8e.shtml

David

Greetings David,

I have gone through the doc which you've mentioned and have included the neccessary config statements into my router. But I have an interesting observation here:

1) Client uses Win98 & Cisco LEAP (ACU v5.0.2) takes about 1min30sec to find the Domain Controller while

2) Client uses WinXP & Cisco LEAP (ACU v5.0.5) takes about 10sec to find the Domain Controller.

Both the client are using the same NIC driver & firmware. The AP350 is using the latest firmware 12.0.2T1.

I suspect an issue with the older version of Windows OS. Have you come across such situations?

Thank you for your help.

Agape,

Kwok :)

I Kwok,

I have seen this happen if the client machine was not configure correctly under windows or logging into the correct domain

Please make sure the option for include windows domain in login is checked

David

Greeting David,

The option for include windows domain in login is checked. I have selected the following in LEAP configuration :-

1) Use Temp User Name & Password

a) Manual Prompt for LEAP User Name & Password

2) Include Windows Logon Domain with User Name

3) No Network Connection Unless User is Log In

Agape,

Kwok :)

By the sound of it then Kwok it sounds like a problem with the windows clients or domain set up I am sorry I am not really a guru on windows so I can not really point you to look at the right things, I have seen this before and the solution was the windows configuration not the Aironet configuration

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card