Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Attention: The Cisco Support Community site will be in read only mode on Dec14, 2017 from 12:01am PST to 11:30am for standard maintenance. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Lightweight and IOS AP?

I have been working with IOS based autonomous APs for a some time now. However, need to have following questions clarified regarding Lightweight models. I have few of these APs

a. AIR-AP1242AG-E-K9 (IOS ver. 12.3(8)

b. AIR-LAP1242AG-P-K9 (IOS ver. 12.3(11)

I cannot seem to determine any difference between the two APs functionality as far as configuration options are considered. I understand that IOS autonomous APs do not connect to WLCs (by default).

a. I am able to configure RADIUS on both

b. I am able to configure SSIDs on both

c. I am able to assign an IP to both the APs for management

Questions then:

1. Can Lighwieght AP work independantly of the wireless LAN controllers? The documentation says they cannot.

2. Is it IOS dependant? i.e. can LAP be made to work like an autonomous AP using an appropriate IOS?

3. If LAP works just as IOS AP then why does Cisco offers them under different product IDs

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Red

Re: Lightweight and IOS AP?

Hi Muhammad,

You have done your homework here :) Hopefully I can answer your questions.

1. Can Lighwieght AP work independantly of the wireless LAN controllers? The documentation says they cannot.

The LWAPP AP (LAP) cannot operate independantly of the WLC

2. Is it IOS dependant? i.e. can LAP be made to work like an autonomous AP using an appropriate IOS?

Yes, an LAP can be converted to Autonomous.Have a look at this doc;

Reverting the Access Point Back to Autonomous Mode

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/prod_technical_reference09186a00804fc3dc.html#wp161272

3. If LAP works just as IOS AP then why does Cisco offers them under different product IDs

I think the difference is in ease of use and Installation only, seeing that the AP can be converted either way.

Hope this helps!

Rob

1 REPLY
Hall of Fame Super Red

Re: Lightweight and IOS AP?

Hi Muhammad,

You have done your homework here :) Hopefully I can answer your questions.

The LWAPP AP (LAP) cannot operate independantly of the WLC

Yes, an LAP can be converted to Autonomous.Have a look at this doc;

Reverting the Access Point Back to Autonomous Mode

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/prod_technical_reference09186a00804fc3dc.html#wp161272

I think the difference is in ease of use and Installation only, seeing that the AP can be converted either way.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content