cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ligntning Arrestors

chrisrodrigues
Level 1
Level 1

My client is insistent that it is safe to install a lightning arrestor (AIRACC3354) directly onto the RP-TNC Connectors of a 1200 series Wireless Access Point. Is this something that I should advise him against or is it safe to install it this way?

1 Reply 1

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

You should inform him that this would be a "Bad Thing."

Ther term "Lightening Arrestor" is a serious misnomer: until you get into (lightning protection) systems costing thousands / tens-of-thousands of dollars, you can pretty much plan on any lightning strike taking out the data center if you connect to anything on the roof with copper.

The best protection you can provide is to isolate the stuff on the roof with fiber and protected / isolated power.

Even when properly implemented (fairly rare), "gas poppers" and the like are only good for "near hits" and bleeding off static buildup.

If you are interested in seeing some real lightning protection stuff, check out PolyPhaser. They provide consulting and product that protect commercial radio towers and other structures. I'm sure there are other providers, but my experience with PolyPhaser to date has been very good.

Good Luck

Scott

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: