Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Line-of-site @ 1200 ft

I am extending a building automation system communication bus between 2 buildings approx 1200 ft apart in line-of-site roof-to-roof. Very low bandwidth is required. I'm considering the Aironet 1300. This is in Miami, so lightning may be a problem. What components will I need for a complete system? I printed the order guide for reference.

Thanks, Dave

2 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: Line-of-site @ 1200 ft

I would recommend contacting a Cisco partner to ensure a complete solution, but some things you will want to consider are whether you will get the 1300 with the integrated antenna or with external connectors. If you get the integrated antenna then you will need the roof-mount kit. If you get the external antenna model, depending on what antenna you choose, you'll need the appropriate mount and antenna, enough coax to make it back to the 1300, a lightning arrestor, and a wall-mount kit for the 1300.

HTH

Green

Re: Line-of-site @ 1200 ft

Consider the components necessary for your setup to permit a segment of fiber between the rooftop components and the rest of your network.

"Lightning Arrestor" is a misnomer: it won't do a thing to prevent a lightning strike or the damage / effects of a direct or near lightning hit.

Having a segment of fiber between the external stuff and the internal network *will* save you, "lightning arrestors" will not.

If you put a copper/fiber converter at the AP, then run the fiber to either another converter, or an available fiber port on an existing switch is a good way to go. At worst, you lose the AP, power supply, and probably some coax.

You still need the "lightning arrestor" for code compliance ("Entrance Protection"), just don't relay on it to save your network.

Good Luck

Scott

Views
Helpful
Replies