cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Linux clients not associating with Aironet 1100

westernplows
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know if there is an issue with a Linux client associating with an Aironet 1100 using WEP? Windows clients are connecting fine, and the Linux client connects to Linksys branded APs with WEP no problem.

Aironet config:

IOS 12.3(2)

16 AP on same SSID, different cells

128-bit WEP

Linux client:

Dlink Airplus DWL-G630

Kernel: Slackware 2.6.12.2

Commands used to associate

ifconfig ath0 up

iwconfig ath0 ath0 mode managed key restricted [2] {key}

dhcpcd ath0

After bringing up the ath0 interface, and running the iwconfig, you can see the iwconfig settings are sticking, but it seems to be jumping around APs when you watch the MAC of the AP. It goes from a valid MAC address to FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF and then to another valid address, and back again. This does not happen on the Linksys AP.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Andy

2 Replies 2

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Try entering the key (on the Linux box) as hex.

Most of the Windows client software lets you enter the key in ASCII ... some client software requires that you put in the hex translation.

You can check the logs on the 1100 to see what the failure message is ,,, but I'd bet it'll be something along the lines of "Invalid Key"

Good Luck

Scott

The key is entered in hex format.

I also checked the logs and my attempt to connect is not showing up in there. I wonder if the Linux driver has a hard time connecting to them when there are multiple cells to connect to.

Andy

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card