Views
Helpful
Replies

Load Balance 2 Wireless Controllers?

drewgon2010
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

We are running 2 Cisco wireless controllers here..I believe a 4400 and a 5500..

All our WAPS and Clients are going to the one Individual Controller..Is it possible to load balance all waps/clients between these?

Thanks

James

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I wouldn't go for that.  Inter-controller roaming can sometimes cause issues with the back-end.

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I support this answer. If you plugged your WLC with all ports on LAG, what are you exactly load balancing ? Nothing will be faster by splitting APs between the 2 WLCs.

In case you anyway split the APs between the 2 WLCs, don't go salt 'n pepper (i.e. if you have 2 APs in a corridor, having them on a different wlc) because that means that every roaming between APs will be inter-WLC roaming. Overhead for nothing. It's best to cut your building in 2 and one are is on wlc1 and the other on wlc2.

While inter-WLC roaming usually works fine and should not cause trouble, it's overhead to go for that while you can have all APs on 1 WLC.

Nicolas

===

Don't forget to rate answers that you find useful

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card