cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

load balancing wireless clients in a conference

Pavel Dimow
Level 1
Level 1

My organisation will be hosting big event. We expect to have a least 200+ concurent wireless clients in a single big room (I guess 50m x 20m)

My task is to cover the area with wireless. I am wondering what I can do with WLC 5508 (except proper AP placement ofc) to somehow load balance wireless clients? Keep in mind that this will be meeting like many users in one relativley small space and all will be using wireless at the same time

with light staff like web surfing mail check and so on. Does wlc 5508 can do the job at all with the latest 7.6 code?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The clients make the final decision in what access points they wish to connect with. Lowering the data rates and power will help alleviate clients on the far end from joining. You can always monitor this in the beginning to tweak your lowest mandatory rate and TX power. It will balance nicely... With users in that area.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There is a feature called client load balancing that SHOULD NOT BE USED!!!  What you should do is lower the TX power and disable the lower data rates.... If you want to cover that room and that room only, you can set the mandatory data rate at 24, 36 or even 48mbps.  This will make your cell size smaller.  Here is an example:

2-20-2014 5-54-06 PM.jpg

Thanks,

Scott

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

-Scott

Hello Scott,

thank you for your reply, my main concern is that let say 150 users will try to connect to two AP's while other 50 users will go to 5+ AP's given the facts that that will be big conference room (like cinema) and that AP's can be mounted on the side walls only.

The clients make the final decision in what access points they wish to connect with. Lowering the data rates and power will help alleviate clients on the far end from joining. You can always monitor this in the beginning to tweak your lowest mandatory rate and TX power. It will balance nicely... With users in that area.

-Scott

Hi Pavel,

As scott suggested disable low data rates. Capacity would be the important factor here. You have to plan 20-30 clients per AP if you want to give decent bandwidth per user. I hope you are using 802.11n capable AP model (make sure you are using WPA2/AES & WMM enable on your WLAN)

Does wlc 5508 can do the job at all with the latest 7.6 code?

If you are using 3600/3700 series AP then there are few known issues (see below thread) with this software code. So get an engineering release of 7.6.x.x from TAC.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/4170252#4170252

Otherwise stick with 7.4.121.0 code which is a quiet stable software code.

HTH

Rasika

****Pls rate all useful responses ****

Hello Rasika,

thank you for your reply.

I am using AP1602I model. Out of curiosity how WPA2/AES & WMM helps in this situation?

I believe Rasika is referring to higher bandwidth speed for the users.. 802.11n

I'm assuming this is for guest users and you will be using an open SSID or a guest portal page? If so, open auth is supported with 802.11n.

-Scott

Hi Pavel,

Yes I meant if you are usnig PSK, use WAP2/AES in order to give users 802.11n speeds. If it is Open Auth that would work as well.

HTH

Rasika

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card