cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

local (hybrid) REAP

rayan
Level 1
Level 1

What would one lose in functionality by running all LAPs in (eventually, hybrid) REAP mode on a local campus network (i.e. all in the same VLAN domain)?

Do REAP APs count the same as non-REAP APs in terms of WCS AP capacity (i.e. is it a bandwidth or a licensing issue how many REAP APs a particular controller can handle)?

Seems to me that once faster wireless bandwidth becomes the norm, a "Hybrid REAP" (i.e. VLAN tagged traffic coming from the REAP AP) is a very practical way of scaling the WLAN infrastructure capacity; comments?

Thanks,

rayan

1 Reply 1

rupert.wever
Level 1
Level 1

Rayan,

Not sure how big your campus network is, but I would object to having the same VLAN across all my access-layer switches, particularly when you have a controller architecture that gives you the opprunity to control you traffic centrally.

AFAIK, REAP AP's still count as 1 full license count, unless Cisco decides to change that based on how it would tax the WLAN controller(s) - I just don't see how that can be enforceable since the same AP can be Locally or Centrally bridged.

Once faster b/w becomes the norm, it is still possible to keep an overlay architecture for easier management (no need manage wireless VLANs on every closet w/AP's, easier to re-configure AP's centrally, less dependencies on the wired infrastructure), security (you know where the payload always comes from vs. having to determine which AP it is on). The scalability would just be a function of the controller (either add more controllers, or use a more beefed-up controller - a better choice given the benefits of the centralized control).

Just my 2-cents; I know some Cisco SE's think using H-REAP on a campus network is a cool idea; I just haven't been sold on the benefits.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card