Views
Helpful
Replies

Location Appliance

wynneit
Level 1
Level 1

This may be a straight forward question

What is the difference between the location appliane and the mobility services engine?

I am assuming there is enhanced functionality in the MSE over the LA however the MSE licensing is considerably more expensive.

Are the design criteria the same?

1 Reply 1

wesleyterry
Level 3
Level 3

Hopefully someone can add to this, but the location appliance, as far as I know, is a WLAN only location system. Its purpose is to analyze the controller data for the location of wireless LAN assets. Generally this is easily implemented with Cisco WCS + Location to dynamically create heat maps and track assets through WCS.

The MSE however is supposed to take this a step further and extend beyond just Wireless LAN. Although I have no experience with this, it is to my understanding the MSE is designed to bridge from a "service" level the gap between Wired/Wireless/Cellular needs.

So, if all you need is "location" information for Wireless Devices on a Cisco Wireless LAN, then I suppose the location appliance is for you. However, if your intent is to go the next level and implement wired and cellular information within some application service (and I have no of an example to give) then the MSE is the direction you want.

Please someone help elaborate on the details.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card