cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Looking for Document about Power Over Ethernet

lfranchini1
Level 1
Level 1

I have a ws-c2960-24tc (12.2(35))and a WS-C2960-24TTc (12.2(25)).

I was trying to power 3 wireless access points AP 1242's though them. I found a Cisco document that stated that you could only run a limited number of power injectors through this switch series. I have lost the document, it was a Cisco and at the time I was looking for the error on low state power injector. Does have the document or can give me link to it? I have been searching for days.

Thanks for any help

LRF

4 Replies 4

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Lawrence,

The 1242 does require 802.3af power so you would need to use this Power Injector;

1240 series* AIR-PWRINJ3

Cisco Aironet Power Over Ethernet Application Note

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/poe/technical/reference/Power.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

Here is a sceenshot of the errors I get setting up a 3rd AP on a 2960 switch.

Hi Lawrence,

Here is some more related info (this looks like a problem with the mac-address);

Following the low power status message, two extra messages are displayed on the console port or when using a Telnet session that identify the actions needed to resolve this low power problem:

-Verify the required power injector is installed on this port: ().

(where indicates the CDP device detected by the access point and

indicates the Ethernet port of the CDP device.

-If a power injector is installed, issue the command: power inline negotiation injector installed.

•%CDP_PD-2-POWER_LOW: All radios disabled- LOW_POWER_CLASSIC_INJECTOR_

CONFIGURED_ON_ANOTHER_PORT ()-This message indicates the access point is in low power mode with all radios disabled and has detected a CDP device that is unable to supply sufficient power to the access point. A power injector has been configured, but it is for another port. It is likely that the access point has been relocated and has not been reconfigured for a new power injector.

The indicates the CDP device detected by the access point. The indicates the MAC address of the CDP device, typically, the switch port.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/1240/installation/guide/124h_c3.html#wp1059915

Hope this helps!

Rob

Rob,

Thank you for your help but I tried that before I even posted here in the forums.

The switch does verify the port and I have tired that commmand many times to no effect.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card