I have an issue in our Lightweight Access Points, we have 1242AG, the strange thing happen is, when I connect to the console to configure the access point, the text are garbled, I tried another access point but I got the same result, I used different hyperterminal application, change my console cable but still the same.
Anybody who can share the same experience what I have.
I check the Cisco Tac site maybe someone has already raise this issue but I did not find any.
Well from my experience, it is the baud rate setting of the com port. Double check the setting on the term server or the laptop device manager. If you console into the wlc also and see the same thing, then it is an issue with your laptop or device you are using to console into the ap.
Yes we have a WLC and I checked the other LAP to verify if the problem is from the IOS but I got the same result.The strange thing here is, when I try to console the LAP, Partly I got the correct characters and the other is not.