Views
Helpful
Replies

LWAPP Discovery request - discarded ?

marcusl
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings all,

I'm starting to grow a huge headache over a WLC-implementation (4402-12). From my point of view, the controller seems to be configured correctly and the DHCP-scope has been set up with the correct pointers as well as as the DNS-record, all pointing towards the AP-Manager i/f (tagged vlan20 on port 1, mgmt untagged) - still, no access-points will associate. The AP is pingable from the controller. A debug of lwapp events and details shows the following;

///

Sat Jan 7 19:36:17 2006: Received a message from AP of length 97 on inteface = 1

Sat Jan 7 19:36:17 2006: Entered spamGetLCBFromMac file spam_lrad.c line 433**

Sat Jan 7 19:36:17 2006: Received LWAPP DISCOVERY REQUEST from AP 00:0b:85:5a:bd:50 to ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff on port '1'

Sat Jan 7 19:36:17 2006: Discarding L3 Mode LWAPP DISCOVERY REQUEST on intf '1', vlan = '20', Management vlan = '0'.

///

Anyone with a clue regarding what might be causing this? I'm also a little confused regarding the destaddr (bcast) since the AP should've received the ucast address of the controller. We have to handover this system to the cust. fairly soon ..

WLC Version: 3.2.78.0

TIA & Best regards,

/M

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jakew
Level 1
Level 1

You need to use the Management Interface for LWAPP controller discovery. That's what the WLC expects. So when it sees an LWAPP Discovery Request coming in on another interface, it discards its.

In L3 LWAPP mode, the AP tries to find a WLC using IP subnet broadcast, over the air provisioning (OTAP), DHCP Option 43, DNS, and WLC IP addresses stored in memory. It will always use ALL of these techniques. That's why you're seeing the broadcast. From the LWAPP Discovery Responses it selects a controller to join.

Now, you would've seen it join in L2 mode because the AP does an Ethernet "broadcast" to find the WLC. Hence, the mgmt interface sees the LWAPP Discovery, and responds with an Ethernet frame. At L2 mode, all LWAPP is Ethernet encapsulated as opposed to IP encapsulated. When you switched back to L3 mode, the AP remembers the management IP address of the WLC from the L2 join and uses that. That's why it worked after switching L3-->L2-->L3.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19

marcusl
Level 1
Level 1

A brief update - I've actually got the access-points to associate, by changing from L3 LWAPP to L2-mode, bringing up the AP and then return to L3 again. Voilá, and the AP is alive and kicking in L3-mode. The only thing that can come to my mind with this matter would be some kind of incompatibility in the code - can anyone confirm this?

I also have an issue with modifying AP-parameters from WCS, clicking save results in the following error-message; "SNMP Operation to device failed." - anyone with any input on this?

TIA & Best regards,

/M

Hey,

This is almost getting funny ... The previous described workaround worked like a charm, for the 10xx-AP's. The really interesting part comes when trying to convert 1200-series IOS-based AP's. I've followed procedure and installed the JX-code per instructions - and the same problem occurs, the controller discards the discovery-request. I've actually tried the same workaround this time, but for obvious reasons - it didn't work. (JX-code can't speak L2).

Is there ANYONE that actually can provide some info regarding these issues? I'm almost out of hair to rip off by now :)

TIA & Best regards,

/M

jakew
Level 1
Level 1

You need to use the Management Interface for LWAPP controller discovery. That's what the WLC expects. So when it sees an LWAPP Discovery Request coming in on another interface, it discards its.

In L3 LWAPP mode, the AP tries to find a WLC using IP subnet broadcast, over the air provisioning (OTAP), DHCP Option 43, DNS, and WLC IP addresses stored in memory. It will always use ALL of these techniques. That's why you're seeing the broadcast. From the LWAPP Discovery Responses it selects a controller to join.

Now, you would've seen it join in L2 mode because the AP does an Ethernet "broadcast" to find the WLC. Hence, the mgmt interface sees the LWAPP Discovery, and responds with an Ethernet frame. At L2 mode, all LWAPP is Ethernet encapsulated as opposed to IP encapsulated. When you switched back to L3 mode, the AP remembers the management IP address of the WLC from the L2 join and uses that. That's why it worked after switching L3-->L2-->L3.

Hope this helps.

Hi Jake,

Your attention to this matter is greatly appreciated. Yes, that was really valueable in helping me understand why the broadcast-address shows up.

However, there are still some points that I'm a little confused about, isn't the ap-manager supposed to be the interface for the discovery? If not, I've totally missed the concept with regards of using the mgmt-i/f. Clarification in this matter would be really helpful, I've found it very hard to find a documentation that actually describes the various i/f's.

I will give it a shot with modifying the DHCP-option to point to the mgmt-i/f right away.

Best regards,

/M

You use the mgmt i/f for the WLC IP address for LWAPP Discovery. The AP sends an LWAPP Discovery Request to the mgmt i/f. The LWAPP Discovery Response sent by the WLC to the AP includes the IP addresses of each of its AP Manager interfaces (there can be more than one) and their current AP "load". The AP then selects an AP Manager IP address to use for subsequent LWAPP communications based on the least utilized address. It's designed to provide for dynamic AP/LWAPP load balancing across all of the WLC ports.

I'm publishing a whitepaper on Cisco.com that goes into the details. I've submitted it for publishing, but that means it goes into this dark place called "Corporate Edit". I haven't gotten a date from them yet, but keep an eye out for it!

Jake, I've been researching the same issue to fix a potential problem I'm going to have as I deploy recently LWAPP'ed AP's in L3 mode. Here's a nice briefing that covers the various L2/L3 discovery modes fairly well. Thanks for all the details you put in.

Hi jakew.. i would love to get my hands on that white paper you are writing for about the conversation between an AP and the WLC, as i am currently trying to setup a WLC behind a firewall

Jake,

Changing the DHCP-option made it work like a charm !

I would still really appreciate if you could write the clarifications I asked for in my previous message for future reference.

Best regards,

/M

I had this same problem about a year ago and I do have a copy of the pre-release whitepaper from Cisco on configuring the DHCP options.

Let me know if you want it I can get it to you.

Another option would be to use a seed ap, you put it on the same VLAN as the WLC and let it find the controller by broadcast. Then install that seed ap on the remote subnet where other APs are located. The others will find the WLC via communication over the air with the seed ap.

Feel free to contact me with questions I've been working on the Airespace stuff for 2 years.

Hi,

I am currently having a problem with providing DHCP option 43 to my AP's. I would certainly be interested in this white paper as info is short on ground. Let me know where I can collect it from.

Thx Jon.

I've attached the Win2K doc I just received from a Tech at Cisco. Has more info than just the Option 43 so may get additional info out of it.

This shows how to do the DHCP option for Win2K DNS server. I also have docs to do it for NetID DNS/DHCP servers.

Has anyone got the [hex string] to handle Option 43 in Lucent VitalQIP?

FYI - to get the string working in QIP:

Be Sure to include Option 60 Vendor Class Identifier with the appropriate name for your AP:

Cisco AP c1200 - for the 1200 Series

Add Option 43 (Vendor Specific Information, under Application and Servie Parameters) to your Option Template using the string:

[4104hexip1hexip2hexip3hexip4] with

41 - the Tag for the VCI

04 the length - 4 per IP address

hexip1hexip2hexip3hexip4 - hexed IP bytes as written

wififofum
Level 4
Level 4

Make sure NTP is set accurately on the WLC. Have your time source do the proper Timezone offset and make no adjustments on the WLC.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card