cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LWAPP joining issue

770801tvdhaar
Level 1
Level 1

An access point has just donwloaded the recovery software and after a reboot I get the following error. Let me just say that this ais a greenfield installation WCS/WLC and LWAPP.

%LWAPP-3-CLIENTEVENTLOG: Controller address 194.14.139.10 obtained through DNS

%LWAPP-3-CLIENTEVENTLOG: Controller address 194.14.139.15 obtained through DNS

%LWAPP-3-CLIENTERRORLOG: Discovery Timer: found the discovery response from master controller

%LWAPP-5-CHANGED: LWAPP changed state to JOIN

%LWAPP-3-CLIENTERRORLOG: Join Timer: did not recieve join response (controller - WiSM-D5-A)

%LWAPP-3-CLIENTERRORLOG: Set Transport Address: no more AP manager IP addresses remain

%LWAPP-3-CLIENTERRORLOG: Join Timer: did not recieve join response (controller - WiSM-D5-B)

%LWAPP-3-CLIENTERRORLOG: Set Transport Address: no more AP manager IP addresses remain

%SYS-5-RELOAD: Reload requested by LWAPP CLIENT. Reload Reason: DID NOT GET JOIN RESPONSE.

%LWAPP-5-CHANGED: LWAPP changed state to DOWN

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

Tyrone

8 Replies 8

jeff.kish
Level 7
Level 7

This is your problem. Your WiSM came defaulted with an AP Manager interface, but you might need to create a new one if it's full. How many access points are running on the WiSM?

I want to say that each AP Manager interface can support 50 or 100 access points, but it would be good if someone else could confirm that. Each WiSM "controller" can support 150 access points (300 per WiSM module), but the AP Manager interface itself can only support so many before a new one must be created.

Go to Controller -> Interfaces to see your AP Manager interface. Make sure everything looks good here as well, that the address and everything is configured properly.

This is my first access point I'm trying to register, so surely it can't be already full. I have a licence for 100 AP's.

Anything else that could be wrong?

Tyrone

If this is your first one, there seems to be something wrong with your AP Manager interface. How did you configure it? Is it on the same subnet as your Management interface? Double-check all configuration on the AP Manager inteface.

Make sure that the IP address in your DNS is for the management interface, not the AP manager interface.

Jeff is right... to add onto this, your management and pa-manager should be on the same subnet and set to native vlan. On the WLC, you need to set the interface to vlan 0 and the dot1q trunk to native vlan (vlan of the management and ap-manager).

To make it simple, place the ap's on the same subnet as the management and ap manager and set a dhcp scope on the subnet if you don't already have one. When the ap gets an ip address, the ap will be able to join the controller without the use of dns or dhcp option. Then after the ap has joined, you can move that ap to a different subnet if you wish.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I can't place the AP's on the same vlan as the management and AP-management interfaces as the WLC is located on a DMZ behind a firewall.

Any other solutions?

My AP-manager and management interface are on the same subnet and the DNS lookup is the correct ip address

Interface Name Port Vlan Id IP Address Type Ap Mgr Guest

-------------------------------- ---- -------- --------------- ------- ------ -----

ap-manager LAG untagged 194.14.139.4 Static Yes No

management LAG untagged 194.14.139.10 Static No No

service-port N/A N/A 192.168.10.2 Static No No

virtual N/A N/A 1.1.1.1 Static No No

This is now resolved I had to open up the firewall to the AP-interface aswell!!

Why do you have the wlc behind the firewall?

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: