cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LWAPP performace: Cisco vs. Airespace hardware

wififofum
Level 4
Level 4

Any opinions out there regarding which hardware plays better with LWAPP, 1200 series or 1000 series APs, or if they've seen no difference? Just wondering if anyone's still buying the original 1000 series APs and why. Thanks!

5 Replies 5

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I've done lots of installs with 1000-series APs - principally because I know they'll work out of the box and I don't need to convert the software or do any config on each AP.

I'm sure it's not too difficult to do a 1200/1100 (especially since now you can order them with LWAPP enabled) but I've just not tried it as the 1000-series work just fine so far...

I guess Cisco's APs are 'better' and will probably try them at some point...

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

To add to this comment, everything I have heard from Cisco indicates that new code development is targeting 1100 and 1200 APs. I believe 1000s have been kept around until 1100s and 1200s reached feature parity, which they now have. I have been selling exclusively 1100/1200s for a while now because of this.

The 1000s were previously the only AP to support REAP functionality at remote sites, but now H-Reap is supported on 1131s and 1242s.

I am also a much bigger fan of the 1100/1200 hardware, since the shark fin look of the 1000s is not as attractive hanging down from the ceiling as an 1131.

If you are worried about future availability, I think it is safe to say that 1100s and 1200s will be around for a long time, due to their massive installed base of users. 1000s may not have nearly as long of a life imo.

As for ease of use, as long as you order 1100s and 1200s with LWAPP code from Cisco, they are just as easy.

The one feature that only 1000s support is Layer 2 interaction with the controller, but Cisco has been pushing Layer 3 to the closets for years anyways, so layer 2 doesn?t work in most environments.

Eric

When you get the LWAPP-shipped APs, do you have to do anything to them or do they work just like the 1000s -i.e. plug 'n' play installation?

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Just like the 1000s unless I am not remembering the 1000s accurately. Basically I usually have 1100s and 1200s in closets on different VLANs than the controller, so I just set up a DHCP scope, add option 43 and 60, and they all just boot up, find the controller from option 43, upgrade their code to the latest available on the controller, and they're good.

They don't support layer 2 like 1000s do, but if they are on the same vlan, they find the controller via IP broadcasts, so it's just as easy as 1000s.

Converting autonomous APs can be a PITA, but still pretty straightforward.

-eric

Thanks for your input,

I tend to agree. I was wondering since LWAPP is an Airespace creation, whether there were a few performance elements that they have not ported to Cisco hardware. I know the REAP feature is the first new advance for the 1240 platform. For example, do you know if the 1200s will ever be able to support 16 SSIDs, as currently they have an 8 SSID limit?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card