cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

lwapp setup

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all, I am interested in using the lwapp solution, using a wlc either with dumb access points or converting my 1240ags to use lwapp.

my question is, does the controller automatically pick up any new cisco access points installed, and also what would happen if the controller went down, this is my arguement about using autonomous access points

please help

2 Replies 2

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You have to stage the access points and depending how you stage it, yes it can automatically find the controller. a redundant WLC is what you will need, but you will still have interruption in sevice. Depending on how many ap's you have, managing from a centrall location is sooooo much better!

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

sungy
Level 1
Level 1

If APs has factory installed certificate and as long as AP can discover controller (via DNS,DHCP option 43, OTAP, L2 broadcast, etc), it should be able to join the controller. If self signed cert, you will need to manually add to every controller and AP needs to discover the controller.

You need two controller or N+1 redundancy. As long as they are in same mobility group, APs will move to other controller in less than 20 seconds. There will be service disruption.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card