cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

macbook pro mav losing connection

HUGH LANCASTER
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco 2106 controllers and 1252 AP's. I have a random problem and it only exist with macbook pro maverick OS X. They will drop connection to the active directory server home directory. They do not lose connection to the internet. When this happens, I reboot the switch and it seems to resolve the issue. Rebooting the AP does not help. Any suggestions? Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Hugh,

Now setting should be like this

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Untick the "TKIP" option in WLAN security setting & see if that helps.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses. Each time you rate a response Cisco will donate $1 to Kiva ****

HUGH LANCASTER
Level 1
Level 1

Uncheck TKIP and check AES. Will let you know if problem continues. Thanks!

Hi Hugh,

Now setting should be like this

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Hi Rasika

I am currently experiencing a similar issue, where Apple Mac clients have intermittent wifi connection.

The connection drops completely(no internet and network drive access).

Some devices show its connected however there is no activity when trying to access the internet, and others indicate that the connection has been dropped.

Can you please confirm if Unticking the "TKIP" option in WLAN security setting, is only the solution where the connection drops to the active directory server home directory while they do not lose connection to the internet, as mentioned above,

Or if it actually an authentication issue due to the tkip encryption which  Apple Mac clients have issues with.

Thanks

Warren

With any Apple products and really with all devices, it's best practice not to have both AES and TKIP enabled. These days, you should be only using WPAv2/AES.  I run various MacBooks with no issues when I have set the wlan properly.

Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Warren,

Yes, if you are doing WPA2 then only tick AES option (don't enable both TKIP & AES options under WPA2).

If possible you should move away from WPA + TKIP (only required if you have client devices that does not support WPA2-AES)

Which WLC code are you running ? In 8.0 onwards there is no TKIP option under WPA2 (you cannot set it by accidentally) . Here what you see on 8.0 onward (no TKIP for WPA2)

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card