cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Major problem with lost connections

gkhobbs
Level 1
Level 1

Recently, my WLAN has been crashing in a wierd way. What happens is the access point will just disassociate everybody. They can't even see the SSID. No one can associate to the AP until I reboot it. Then, the whole cycle starts again. I think this may have something to do with 802.11b and g protocols.

I have Aironet 1200s, 1100s, 350s, and 340s. All of them have an 802.11b only radio in them. I upgraded all the access points (except the 340s) to IOS and all have the latest firmware. Could the dual b/g clients be the cause of the crash?

On a side note, the 340s have VxWorks and have not crashed. Does this mean that there's a bug an IOS possibly?

11 Replies 11

rmiles
Level 1
Level 1

After you reboot the AP how long does it function correctly before dropping everyone again? We have a very similar issue in where no one can associate to AP's until they're rebooted. After a reboot it seens to work fine for about 3-4 weeks before happening again.

It varies. I made it crash after two minutes one time. Sometimes, it kicked me off after several hours. Sometimes, I have to reboot it several times before I'm able to reassociate.

ischarcm
Level 1
Level 1

we have the exact same problem... only using ap350's.. SOme work fine for a day after rebooting to get it working again, then cease to work again. We upgraded to IOS from vxworks... now have been told there IS a bug in the IOS and a fix is due Feb 5.

Same problem here. The 350's we've upgraded to IOS seem to stop working every so often, requiring a reboot. The ones not yet upgraded run just fine. Glad to hear a fix is coming soon.

I hope this "fix" applies to the 1200s as well.

Well, today's the 6th... where's the fix???

Its there, follow this link.. this is for the 350's but the others are there as well I believe... if you have trouble finding it, I included the fellows number who contacted me saying it was there, he can help you find for the 1100's etc Im sure

IOS has been posted.

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Software/Iosplanner/Planner-tool/iosresult.cgi?get_crypto=&data_from=get&hardware_name=350WIRELESSACCESSPOINT&software_name=WIRELESS%20LAN&release_name=12.2.13-JA2&majorRel=12.2&state=:HW:SW:RL&type=Early%20Deployment

Thanks,

Dallas Williams

Cisco TAC

408 525 7965

We have upgraded several of our AP's, however I am finding I am still having the same problem, maybe not as bad after upgrading ... have the other folks who had problems here with this upgraded, and are your problems gone? I am curious... we still seem to be having a problem... Help?

All of our access points work solid now. There hasn't been any droppage of clients. However, I did test this fix on a 802.11g radio. It didn't work. Looks like the fix is only good for 802.11b radios. Plus, something you want to make sure of is what fallback mode the radios are on. There's another bug that hasn't been resolved. What happens is, if your AP is set to root AP but fallback to repeater upon loss of ethernet connection, the AP will kick you off, reassociate, kick you off, reassociate, etc. The workaround right now is to set the fallbackmode to radio island.

Our upgraded 350's seem to be working fine now. Can't comment on 802.11g as we don't have any.

Andy

we do not have G either, but are still having a bit of a problem.. fall back to radio island is what we use on every AP... appreciate the feedback.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card