cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

management VLAN on all 4 ports in a 2504 ?

Kjetil Fleten
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

It seems like the 4-ports switch in the 2504 can only one port can be used for management VLAN at a time ? I need all 4 ports to be untagged in the managment VLAN. Is that possible ?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

no, that isn't possible.  the 2504 is not a switch or a router.  While you can connect an AP to the WLC directly, it's not recommended.

IMHO I'd bring along a small POE switch

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

It will, but TAC will not support it. Also since the WLC isn't a switch, the AP's will need I be placed in the same subnet as the WLC management. Most of my installs with the 2504, there is a PoE switch involved. I have done this setup at home, but I will never do this at one of my clients. If there is no PoE switches, then a power injector or AC adapter would be used. I won't do an install for one of my clients that TAC will not support, because at the end of the implementation, my client would had to work with TAC.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can run all four ports untagged, but they would need to be in different subnets for it to work.

why do you need all four ports?

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If each port need to be on a different subnet, then devices on one port can not see a device on another port ?

I am running a demo at a exibition tomorrow, were I want to connect an AP to one of the PoE ports, and another PoE device to the other PoE port, and a firewall to port 1. All the devices should be able to talk to another on the same VLAN or subnet.

Is that possible on a 2504 ?

no, that isn't possible.  the 2504 is not a switch or a router.  While you can connect an AP to the WLC directly, it's not recommended.

IMHO I'd bring along a small POE switch

Steve

HTH,
Steve

Strange: Why does they make a device with 3 ports which can not be used ? And even more strange: Why provide two useless ports with PoE ?

Is there a future IOS release under consideration that will make the ports available ?

Well the ASA 5505 is the same platform but why would you need PoE on the ASA:) the WLC is not a switch and also doesn't support LAG. This has been the same with the 2006, 2106, and now the 2504. You can configure your management along with any other dynamic interface with a primary and secondary port. You can use the PoE (thought no supported by TAC) but the AP will be on the same vlan as the wlc management interface.

I doubt there will be support for LAG maybe due to hardware.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

For a small customer we want one ASA 5505, one WLC2504, 4 AP's and a single SSID on a single VLAN. I hoped that I could use the two PoE ports of both the ASA and the WLC to acheive this.

So that means that what I wanted in my initial question will work then ?

It will, but TAC will not support it. Also since the WLC isn't a switch, the AP's will need I be placed in the same subnet as the WLC management. Most of my installs with the 2504, there is a PoE switch involved. I have done this setup at home, but I will never do this at one of my clients. If there is no PoE switches, then a power injector or AC adapter would be used. I won't do an install for one of my clients that TAC will not support, because at the end of the implementation, my client would had to work with TAC.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card