Views
Helpful
Replies

managing client numbers connecting to an AP

wintersweat2000
Level 1
Level 1

Gday Everyone,

In a Lightweight AP environment, Has anyone ever managed to control number of clients connecting to an AP? or deny any clients connecting to the particular AP after a certain number of clients have already established an active connection to that AP?

7 Replies 7

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The below command on the WLC may help you.. but i am not sure that this is gonna work... but you can try once.. coz not even once this worked for me..

config advanced [802.11a | 802.11b] profile clients [global | ]  

Few days back configured for a single client and i was able to connect my second as well so here is the enhancement bug raised for the same issue.. the next or next to next release may have a fix. here is the bug ID..

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCtj94508

CSCtj94508 -  There should be a way to limit the number of wireless clients that can associate to a lightweight AP. On autonomous APs, we have max-associations command.

lemme know how this answered your question!!

--

If   this helps you and/or answers your question please mark the question  as  "answered" and/or rate it, so other users can easily find it.

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

That would be a nice addition to the firmware.  Can't wait for this feature to be added to the next release!  +5

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Did that command work?

Regards
Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

Hi Surendra,

Sorry mate, have not had chance to try your solution yet. Will let you know as soon as I do. Thanks for your help.

Hi.. No problem.. lemme know when you try that out..

lemme know if this answered your question!! pls rate the post if this was helpful..

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

Hi Surendra,

aint that command for only on radio interface a/b only. we are looking at b/g/n clients?

haha Bulls eye!! i expected this question from you!! at the time we configure 802.11B, the G in included.. i mean.. its represented as 802.1B but in this context 802.11B == 802.11 B/G..  even i dint know this, when i saw this for the first time long back.. here is thelink which tells that..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/5.1/command/reference/cli51c1.pdf

Lemme know if this answered your question..

Regards

Surendra

Please dont forget to rate the usefull posts.

Regards
Surendra BG
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card