Helpful
Replies

Max EAPOL-key M1 retransmissions exceeded for client

campbech1
Level 1
Level 1

WISMS on ver 6.0.196

Receiving several hundred messages:

*Jul 06 16:51:58.943: %DOT1X-3-MAX_EAPOL_KEY_RETRANS: 1x_ptsm.c:407 Max EAPOL-key M1 retransmissions exceeded for client 00:19:88:05:2d:53

*Jul 06 16:51:57.792: %DOT1X-3-MAX_EAPOL_KEY_RETRANS: 1x_ptsm.c:407 Max EAPOL-key M5 retransmissions exceeded for client 00:40:9d:3a:c9:8f
*Jul 06 16:51:56.991: %DOT1X-3-MAX_EAPOL_KEY_RETRANS: 1x_ptsm.c:407 Max EAPOL-key M1 retransmissions exceeded for client 00:19:88:06:64:82

Any thoughts? Wireless users are experiencing random disconnects.

2 Replies 2

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Sounds like the supplicant is not acking the EAPOL frame.  You would need to do a wireless sniff in the area, to make sure the frame is seen in the air from the AP, and from the cleint.

Side note, we have had some reported issues with clients that do not care for the BSSID if it starts with somethign other than 00:

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

In looking at the radius configuration again I notice that we have two servers defined. I looked through the logs and didn't see anything alarming, until I checked the secondary radius server. I was just told that the second radius server has been shutdown without notice.

I will remove that from the WLAN config later tonight.

Obvious question, but will ask it anyway, will this cause these errors?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card