cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

max range on 2.4 Ghz LAN

ghugerajesh1
Level 1
Level 1

how much max range is possible on 2.4 GHz LAN. which are the suitalbe AP ?

12 Replies 12

ghugerajesh1,

unfortunatly that is a bit of an open question and not one that can be covered in full in this reply. The efective range of any 2.4GHz access point will ultimately depent on the environment around it. Perform a simple wireless survey and you should gain a baisc understanding of what is possible.

As for suitable AP then this also will depend on your environment.This link will privide you with your options:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/products_category_buyers_guide.html#http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/products_category_buyers_guide.html?linkpos=1#number_1

In basic we use the 1231's for indoor office's, 1242's for environemnts such as wearhouses, factories etc and the 1300 series for outdoor access.

Hope that this has helped

Cheers, Mark

*pls rate all useful posts

Mark,

Thanx for helpful info

i think 1300 series is wht i needed

my purpose is to distribute the internet for public use on 2.4 Ghz. but i am worried abt the range it will provide.

are there any AP with/without ext antenna those can provide range in 1 or 2 Km. ?

cisco also no where given some datasheet wherein we can atleast guess the range an outdoor AP can provide

once agin thax for your help

A 1310 series has the antenna built in to the unit and (if acting as a bridge) can give a bridge - bridge range of several km. If acting as an AP then you will be restricted to the range that the clients can achieve, the client might "see" the 1310 from 1km away but won't have the power to reach back and connect to it. For client access to an 802.11g AP (or 1310 acting as an AP) you're looking at about 200M maximum and probably less.

Thanx Andrew for ur reply

>>>If acting as an AP then you will be restricted to the range that the clients can achieve, the client might "see" the 1310 from 1km away but won't have the power to reach back and connect to it.

u mean to say the client(Laptop with 802.11b/g wireless card) won't have the enough power to reach AP ??

ur suggetions will be very helpfull....thnx n advance

That's correct, a standard wireless client (eg; laptop with a built in wireless NIC) will have a maximum range of 200M or so at best and if it's any further away from the 1310 it won't be able to connect.

Thanx andrew for sharing your knowledge.

it will really helpful for me.

Glad it was helpful, feel free to rate my posts : )

Hi Andrew

how r u ..hopw allz well there

recently i have installed AIR-BR1310G-A-K9 (inbuilt patch antenna )

set as a AP 2.4GHz radio.

I am surpriced its giving my coverage of hardly 30-35 meters in open air.

wheny client goes beyond 30-35 meters they can not even see the AP.

limited range is because of AP or client PC ?

can range be increased with external high gain antenna...say 21 dbi AIR-ANT3338*

thanks in advance

Mark,

I need your small help again

i want to order cisco 1300 series AP

product code : AIR-BR1310G-A-K9 (FCC regulatory domain) : Cisco Aironet 1300 Series Outdoor Access Point or Bridge with integrated.......is it ok

my purpose is to distribute the internet in a univesity campus

is this product confugirable via http

thanks in advance

The AIR-BR1310G-A-K9 has a built in directional antenna. If you want to give 360 degree coverage you should order a AIR-BR1310G-A-K9-R which has no internal but has two antenna stubs instead which you can use to connect an omnidirectional antenna to. For wireless client connections a AIR-ANT2506 antenna would be OK, turn the transmit power on the 1310 down though to keep the range sensible. You might also want a mounting kit for the 1310: AIR-ACCRMK1300=

Hi there

thanks for your help

>>>>For wireless client connections a AIR-ANT2506 antenna would be OK

you mean for laptop/desktop pc connection AIR-ANT2506 is must ?

i hope it shud connect to AP with inbuilt/external wireless adapter

thanks in advance

You would connect the AIR-ANT2506 antenna to the 1310 to give omnidirectional coverage. The AIR-BR1310G-A-K9 only has a built in directional antenna so if you want 360 degree coverage you need the AIR-BR1310G-A-K9-R which has no built in antenna but has connectors to connect an omni antenna to so you get 360 degree coverage.

You don't need to fit an antenna to the clients and will still be limited to a maximum AP - client range of about 200M max in the open air due to the range limits of the client PCs.

Hope this helps! : )

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: