cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mesh Secondary Backhaul

c.quintop
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have a mesh network with Cisco 1510, and a Cisco Controller 4400 with 4.0.217.0. I am planing to upgrade to 4.1.185.0 to use the mesh secondary-backhaul command. I want to know if anyone of you guys have used it before.

Can I disable in the controller the 802.11a interface to reroute all my traffic to the 802.11b interface? Can the mesh network be recreated using the 802.11b/g interface?

How really it works?

Thanks for your help

Cesar Quinto

6 Replies 6

dennischolmes
Level 7
Level 7

In theory this could be done but bear in mind the performance consequences of doing it. Your usable throughput would drop significantly as all traffic would be on the b/g radio. This would only happen in the event of failure to the .11a network. As it will be supported in later releases it is intended to support the multiple radio (4)feature of the 1524.

Oh and one other thing. Move to the MESH release of 4.1.190.5. This is the mesh only code and supports MESH Aps only but has a lot of new features just for the MESH space. See the attached release note.

Dennis, thanks for your response. I was absent.

I installed the new firmware 4.1.185.0 and configured the secondary mesh backhaul, but when I disable the 5Ghz interface in the controller, I was expecting the connection from the APs use the 2.4Ghz interface, but never happened.

What I saw when you have both interfaces working, is that the traffic sometimes is transmitted using the two ways (5Ghz and 2.4Ghz).

Has anybody had a different experience regarding secondary backhaul?

Thanks

Cesar Quinto.

Do you have other indoor APs? If not, move to the MESH code, 4.1.190.5. This is the MESH only code and supports the new MESH features. the 185 code is the last rev of the unified code. It doesn't have all of the support for the new MESH features.

Yes. Currently I have others indoors APs, that's the reason I can not change to 4.1.190.5. But according with the Release Notes in both versions, should work very similar.

Thanks,

Cesar Quinto.

I am adding some information about my problem as well. I am having the same issue. Well sort of. I don't believe I have ever seen any traffic on the secondary backhaul. I nave nodes that are not within 5.8 range of each other, but can see each other on 2.4 and I would expect traffic to pass there. This is 4.1.185.0

I was thinking of going on ahead to the mesh firmware- especially if I can find out if there is an issue with this feature on 185.

Anything you foks post to help Cesar will help me as well.

Cesar- what report are you running or what statistic are you viewing to see the 2.4 traffic that *is* taking place? Did you do anything else to enable this, other than the secondary backhaul command on the CLI?

Thanks

Ralph

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: