Views
Helpful
Replies

MFP client protection is optional by default

Puneet Gupta
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I am using WLC 5008 with 7.4.110.0 version and we have also PRIME 1.3 in our netowrk.

We are getting an error the MFP should be reuired in dot1x.

"

Set "MFP Client Protection" to "Required" to protect against clients connecting to a rogue AP."

Can we set to reuired for SSID ? what are the disadvantages of doing this ?

SSID is using EAP-TLS for authentication.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

HI Punit,

I have same setutp as u have 5008 WLC(we have 2504).

You can choose as "Optional".(This is by default)

If you want then you can also choose "Required"

WLAN SSID on the controller has MFP Client Protection set to "Optional".

With MFP Client Protection set to optional for a WLAN, authenticated clients may not be shielded from spoofed frames.

Set MFP Client Protection to "Required" to protect against clients connecting to a rogue access point.

Select Disabled, Optional, or Required.

Client  MFP will only be active for a session if the client supports CCX (Cisco  Compatible eXtensions) MFP, and if WPA2 is negotiated with the client.  If Optional is selected, clients that do not negotiate MFP will be  allowed to associate. If Required is selected, only clients that  successfully negotiate MFP will be allowed to associate.

"http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a008080dc8c.shtml" ........

With  MFP, all management frames are cryptographically hashed to create a  Message Integrity Check (MIC). The MIC is added to the end of the frame  (before the Frame Check Sequence (FCS)).
   *In a centralized  wireless architecture, infrastructure MFP is enabled/disabled on the WLC  (global config). Protection can be selectively disabled per WLAN, and  validation can be selectively disabled per AP.

....More INformation:

http://www.giga-wave.com/techtips-love-wireless-lan.asp

Hope it helps.

Regards

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

HI Punit,

I have same setutp as u have 5008 WLC(we have 2504).

You can choose as "Optional".(This is by default)

If you want then you can also choose "Required"

WLAN SSID on the controller has MFP Client Protection set to "Optional".

With MFP Client Protection set to optional for a WLAN, authenticated clients may not be shielded from spoofed frames.

Set MFP Client Protection to "Required" to protect against clients connecting to a rogue access point.

Select Disabled, Optional, or Required.

Client  MFP will only be active for a session if the client supports CCX (Cisco  Compatible eXtensions) MFP, and if WPA2 is negotiated with the client.  If Optional is selected, clients that do not negotiate MFP will be  allowed to associate. If Required is selected, only clients that  successfully negotiate MFP will be allowed to associate.

"http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a008080dc8c.shtml" ........

With  MFP, all management frames are cryptographically hashed to create a  Message Integrity Check (MIC). The MIC is added to the end of the frame  (before the Frame Check Sequence (FCS)).
   *In a centralized  wireless architecture, infrastructure MFP is enabled/disabled on the WLC  (global config). Protection can be selectively disabled per WLAN, and  validation can be selectively disabled per AP.

....More INformation:

http://www.giga-wave.com/techtips-love-wireless-lan.asp

Hope it helps.

Regards

Thanks Sandeep

But how would i know that client supports CCX ?

Actually i dont want a situation where client do not associate to my wireless netwrok.

Hi Punit,

If you do

show client detail

Then you can see the if client is supported or not.

But in my case i choosed " optional ".

Disabled turns off client support for MFP.

Optional enables client devices to participate as validator devices if they are capable, but still allows clients that cannot support MFP to participate in the network.

The Required setting makes client MFP support mandatory-devices which don’t support MFP will not be allowed to join the network.

Hope it helps.

Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card