Views
Helpful
Replies

migrating 2 standalone 5508 to one mobility-group

msporleder
Level 1
Level 1

hey everyone,

for some reason our wlan-controllers were build up to be standalone instead of beeing one mobility-group.

I would like to change this in order to use all features of HA.

let me describe our scenario:

two WLCs 5508 running SW ver. 6

- same subnet

- both are running in master controller mode

- different hostnames, ip-addresses, etc

- all settings for WLANs and AP-groups (exept the APs themselves in these groups) are the same

- in total at this moment we are running around 100 LAPs configured one half on WLC#1, the other half on WLC#2

I don't know exactly why, but when that setting was installed, someone already configuredHA for each accesspoint...

e.g.:

- AP#1 primary WLC#1, secondary WLC#2

- AP#2 primary WLC#2, secondary WLC#1

but without WLC#2 knowing the configuration for AP#1 it makes no sense, correct?

so my question is: how should I do the migration in the best way?

is it easy as:

- disabling master controller mode on WLC#2

- configuring both WLCs into one mobility group

--> WLCs are negotiating their configurations for the APs

and everything is fine after this?

comments appriciated.

rgeards, Manuel

-- Regards, Manuel
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

First off... disable the master controller mode.  Then veriftywhat ap's should use wlc#1 as the primary and wlc#2 as the secondary.  Configure the mobility groupt to have the other wlc and ensure that ap fallback is enabled.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Master Controller Mode is only listened to if the AP does not have a primary controller set.

So all you should need to do is change the mobility group name on the Controller tab to match between the two, then go into the mobility group and edit the mac/ip address of the WLC to be in both WLC.  Make sure you use the mac address from the mobility configuration, and you should be good.

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

First off... disable the master controller mode.  Then veriftywhat ap's should use wlc#1 as the primary and wlc#2 as the secondary.  Configure the mobility groupt to have the other wlc and ensure that ap fallback is enabled.

-Scott

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Master Controller Mode is only listened to if the AP does not have a primary controller set.

So all you should need to do is change the mobility group name on the Controller tab to match between the two, then go into the mobility group and edit the mac/ip address of the WLC to be in both WLC.  Make sure you use the mac address from the mobility configuration, and you should be good.

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

msporleder
Level 1
Level 1

wow, this was fast!

since I thought the same, and you both describe the same ToDos, I rate this as answered and do so...

thank you very much!

-- Regards, Manuel

Steve is pretty fast...:)

-Scott

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

good catch .. Since your aps are split among controllers and not in the same mob group. It's very likely a client roam from one wlc to another would cause a re ip and a dirty roam. You should see regular roaming now!

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

clarkvyborg
Level 1
Level 1

I have a similar issue with two 5508s setup in a similar way but the APs are in Flex mode running on 7.3 code - Should I bring the two WLC into the same mobility group?  I built the WLC as stand alone pairs when I started getting into the Cisco Wireless world and I am going back and re-evaluating my mistakes I made. 

I would put them in the same mobility group if you need to have support for roaming and especially if the WLC's are located in the same location that might serve the same access points.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card